Kerole's Place

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

A New Year

3 Jan '16 10:03 am
Welcome 2016!

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and that 2016 sees you well and enjoying your gardens!

I am currently at our family bach in Coromandel. It has been muggy, chill, blistering, gale force, torrential, drizzly, sunsetty, and mosquito-ish. Often all in one day. It is lovely to be with family, and to relax away from home for a few days.

I am also enjoying not being confronted by my own garden (and all the things within it that are screaming for my attention) whenever I open the door. I am instead being serenaded by native bird song, amid the greens and browns of New Zealand's native forest and bushlands. The ferns fronds hang heavy with rain drops, framing the ocean view perfectly. So very refeshing.

But of course I cannot be away long, before my mind wanders back to my garden and all I wish to change/improve in the year to come.

I have an update on the Tintinara rose. The so-very-pink rose that I purchased on a whim. I am unconvinced it will be staying in this most gentle of coloured garden beds! I left the plant with a couple of dozen tight buds on it. It will be interesting to see what it looks like when I return tomorrow.
IMG_7021.CR2.JPG
It really does look impressive against the blue mini aggies...
IMG_7022.CR2.JPG
... but oh my it is soooo screamingly pink.
IMG_7024.CR2.JPG
IMG_7025.CR2.JPG
IMG_7028.CR2.JPG
Tintinara. It was supposed to be a rich coral/peach.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Our Bach

5 Jan '16 2:08 pm
Check out my pictures of our log cabin beach bach on my tours thread, Kerole's Rambles.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Tintinara - more

6 Jan '16 6:48 pm
I'm afraid the rose Tintinara is just way too loud for this bed. This winter I will replant it where it's vibrancy can be appreciated fully. I think it will look amazing alongside Canna Tropicana and some purply leaved Heucheras.
IMG_8179.CR2.JPG
Rose Tintinara and Peter Pan mini aggies.
IMG_8120.CR2.JPG
IMG_8121.CR2.JPG
IMG_8133.CR2.JPG

moosey
head gardener

Re: Kerole's Place

7 Jan '16 4:32 pm
It is a bit of a dazzler! Don't think I've got one, and I agree - purple Heuchera will set it off nicely. So would some of the dreaded purple Berberis shrubs, bit they do spread it around a bit! Have the very best Hew Year in your wonderful garden, Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

fenwillow
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada

10 Jan '16 4:51 am
I agree with you and Moosey... it's a lovely rose and will look wonderful in it's new setting with it's new neighbours.

Best wishes for the New Year!
FenWillow,
Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Canada

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Long Summer Days

10 Jan '16 5:52 pm
I welcome the heat of summer days, with still balmy mornings, and hazy days. I look forward to spending more hours in the garden this summer (temperatures permitting). The weeds abound, and everything's just suddenly gone to seen and needs dead-heading or cutting back.
IMG_7037.CR2.JPG
Graham Thomas. One of the last flowers of this flush of blooms.
IMG_7038.CR2.JPG
Clematis Romantika is almost finished her first session too. She will flower again in March.
IMG_7040.CR2.JPG
Black mondo grass. So stupidly expensive to buy. I was lucky enough to inherit this sizeable area of plants and I have divided them, giving many plants away. The flowers are adorable but often overlooked.
IMG_7049.CR2.JPG
My super beautiful blush rose.
IMG_8152.CR2.JPG
Blues abound in my garden at this time of year thanks to the profusion of Peter Pan mini aggies.
IMG_8153.CR2.JPG
This little concrete stock trough has sat here for several years. This year I am taking a big breath and putting a water lily in it! Any suggestions for tough types?
IMG_8162.CR2.JPG
Lavender Arabian Night in foreground. Mrs Slocombe, and a self-seeded aggie that has outstayed its welcome.
IMG_8178.CR2.JPG
Friend
IMG_8170.CR2.JPG
Foe!
IMG_8181.CR2.JPG
Peter Pan aggies alongside Scentasia patio rose. Does this wee rose ever stop flowering?
IMG_8196.CR2.JPG
Peter Pan makes a statement.
IMG_8135.CR2.JPG
Exciting! My first attempt at growing the ultra-fragrant climber Sir Edmund Hilary did not go well. He sulked and pouted for 2 years, then threw out a solitary cane which was promptly smashed by a falling palm frond. The base was split and I thought it was a goner. I bought another and planted him in a more sensible place. Meanwhile - THIS happened! My first Ed is growing well, is super healthy, and flowering. Yay!
IMG_8138.CR2.JPG
Sir Edmund Hilary. Hopefully he will make it to the verandah railing high above him.

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

11 Jan '16 12:46 am
Lovely to take a walk about your garden again, Kerole. Long time no see. It is 4 in the morning here and my sleep function is out of whack. So here I am. I'm very glad to see Moosey's still going strong. I've pretty much disappeared into Facebook. But I love this place and am glad I came across an old email which sent me back here.

I also popped in on your log cabin entry. For not being a builder you dad did a great job - starting with choosing a beautiful location.
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

12 Jan '16 10:19 am
Oh Mark, it's so good to have you back! You have been missed.
You must have plenty of tales to tell.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

18 Jan '16 2:27 am
Lovely photos.
I love the first one in the earlier set of the aggies and Tintinara (though it IS very bright) and your beautiful house in the background. I also love the pic of Graham Thomas. And Friend, great pic! (Can I also say the pic of Foe is a good one. Do you know what sort of wasp it is?)

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

24 Jan '16 9:16 am
Thanks for the compliments.

That nasty fellow is an Asian paper wasp. They harvest wood from our fences and decking, chew it up, and form it into the cells of their comb nest. Unfortunately they are everywhere here, but fortunately they are nowhere near as aggressive as the fat yellow German wasps.

PreviousNext

Return to My Garden Diaries