A Garden Grows in California

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

Info in, info out.

10 Sep '07 3:37 am
You learn something new everyday .. especially if you have friends who help. Liza, I hadn't known there was another Centaurea besides C. cyanus. My Western Sunset Book let me down this time. So on your tip I went to Flora: A Gardener's Encyclopedia and there I found not only C. dealbata but six more besides. I'm pretty sure that this one is C. montana and I'm glad that it is a species and not a hybrid so that if it reseeds I'll get some more like it. (I did notice that fly - I don't recognize it though. Striped like a bee but body shape of a fly. Curious.)

Gordon it sounds like your nursery overfloweth. Its always nice to discover a plant that I'd given up on has resurrected itself. It must be like that several times over to discover that a tray of seedlings you'd given up on growing. I've always admired white cyclamen. It seems like one of the most formal, elegant little plants out there. Oh, those tree trunk looking things in the photo are the cactus 'Strausii'. I picked up on in San Diego several years ago which was two feet long and of good girth. It is now my height. It pupped after a couple years in the ground and that one has nearly caught up to the original one. A couple years after that a third pup came along and in this, its third year it is at least three feet tall. I really like this plant.

I've actually been able to read posts a couple times this past week on line over lunch. I just haven't had time to reply. Would you believe we only have 30 minutes for lunch? (Only in the U.S. could this be culturally acceptable.) Yesterday my access to Moosey's was crawling at a snail's pace when I replied to Dixie's Fairy Garden thread. Just before I went to bed I tried again and was able to load these pictures, though slowly. This morning things seem back to normal so I have some catching up to do.
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener
SEQUOIA FARM Haenertsburg South Africa

Christmas kniphofias

10 Sep '07 8:14 pm
Simple explanation: Xmas = mid-summer in the Southern hemisphere where they come from. I grew up with the Afrikaans name 'vuurpyl' for them - rocket, or literally fire-arrow.

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Centaureas...

10 Sep '07 10:28 pm
Mark, you made me go to Google/images to watch the Centaureas differences!The Montana one is indeed a darker blue, and not with so dense petals like the Dealbata. Concerning Caryopteris, yes, they hate excessive water, and their height is about 70cm, about 2,5 feet.
Last edited by Liza on 16 Sep '07 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Faith S
Perpetually learning gardener
Alabama, USA

Two-toned Salvia

16 Sep '07 1:19 am
Mark, I enjoyed all the photos in your post, but the one that caught my attention and sparked my curiosity most was the one of the two-toned Salvia. What cultivar is that? I don't think I have seen one with quite that color, although it may just look different in your photo. I have a number of blue salvia cultivars and they all look a little different from that one.
Faith at Bide-a-Wee Farm, Alabama, USA

Come abide with me a wee while.

Mark

Last weekend in September in the garden

30 Sep '07 10:35 am
Well I shot a bunch of photos this morning so here is an update from Berkeley. I went out just before the sun cleared the trees and then again an hour or so later. Here are some of the better ones.

Okay, that was a naughty time out. Now .. score those tests, run those grades.
Entry garden from atop the shed..JPG
Shot from the roof of the shed behind the greenhouse.
Aeonium & Kalanchoe near the pond.JPG
New Kalanchoe with Aeonium buddies settling in near the pond.
Aeonium in the Sky Hole.JPG
Here are the same plants reflected in the pond.
Pond thru Dry Bed.JPG
More pond, this one shot through the dry garden.
Gravel garden from the pond.JPG
Looking back toward the gate from the pond.
Coming through the gate this morning.JPG
Coming through the gate this morning, looking left.
Toward the pond from atop the shed.JPG
Looking back to the pond from atop the shed.
Sophie from atop the shed..JPG
Looking down on Sophie from the shed roof.
The side yard from atop the shed..JPG
Looking over the fence toward the side yard and the warehouse from the shed's roof.
'Graham Thomas' in the morning.JPG
Graham Thomas enjoying morning light on the center arch.
Graham Thomas backlit.JPG
A detail of a G. Thomas rose.
Another G Thomas detail.JPG
Another G. Thomas rose.
Close up of 'Marilyn Monroe' Rose.JPG
Very close detail of 'Marilyn Monroe' rose.
'Marilyn Monroe' rose bud.JPG
Marilyn Monroe has some green in the bud.
Fletcher hoping for a walk in the back of the truck.JPG
Fletcher hoping for a walk in the back of the truck.
Taro flower with salvia near the fountain.JPG
The Black Taro near the fountain has another flower. The blue flower is a salvia.
Mark in California

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Oh, Boy!!

30 Sep '07 4:39 pm
Hi, Mark-

What a great bunch of pictures!! Loved the ones of the dogs - Fletcher is a very handsome fellow, and Sophie is a very pretty girl! I wish I could get decent pictures like those of Joey!

As I think I said in an earlier post, that pond just fits in so very well that it seems as if it has always been there! And I loved the aeonium reflection in the pond! Could you take a close-up picture of the flowers on that tall, skinny cactus for me? I would like to see them close up.

What is the shrub (or perhaps a climber?) in picture number 1 with the blue flowers? And what kind of a small tree is shown in "Toward the Pond from Atop the Shed"? It appears to be very lacey, with tiny leaves.

Graham Thomas is a wonderful colour, isn't he? What a pretty rose!!, Also, I at first thought you had a skunk cabbage in your garden when I saw the picture of the taro flower! The flowers are nearly identical! How large are the taro flowers?

I've been having dreams of having a xeriscaped garden in the B.C. dry belt of late. My visit there made the impulse even stronger, and seeing your pictures makes the desire for a different sort of garden spin around in my head. All I have to do is to get financially ready for such a move! Maybe in a couple of years I'll be ready to take the plunge. I've located a sort of commune that I'm going to look into. While it probably won't be the final choice, at least it's a start!! And I've always wanted to try living on a commune (you can tell that I'm a child of the 60's! :D ), so now that I don't need a job, it might be worth a try!!

Well, that's all for now. I have to upload some more pictures on my thread about my trip. Until next time!

Cheers!

gordonf

Faith S
Perpetually learning gardener
Alabama, USA

Beautiful photos

2 Oct '07 12:59 am
Mark, your latest photos are just beautiful. I loved the scenes of your gardens and both the dogs, but I was especially awed by the Graham Thomas and Marilyn Monroe rose photos. The close-up of Marilyn Monroe speaks eloquently of the reason for it's name. I hope you have the opportunity to bring the Alabama garden designer for a visit to your garden. I don't think you have too much to worry about maintenance-wise judging from your latest photos. You'll have to let us know how it goes, and if possible, her name or at least what part of Alabama she is from. I know a fair number of the local Landscape Architects and Garden Designers since that was the field I worked in before retiring. Not as a designer, of course, just in a support staff role.
Faith at Bide-a-Wee Farm, Alabama, USA

Come abide with me a wee while.

Bambi
Slowly Learning Gardener
Kent, England

2 Oct '07 2:15 am
Yes, wonderful photos again, Mark - my favourite was the backlit Graham Thomas rose against that so-blue sky! Oh, and your doggies are just so sweet - handsome fellows as Gordon says!
"If you'd have a mind at peace
A heart that cannot harden
Go find a door that opens wide
Upon a beautiful garden."
Author Unknown

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Wow, Mark!!

2 Oct '07 2:26 am
What lovely, glowing captures, dear Mark!! Your Graham is surely so happy in his Autumn blooming! Your pond looks so beautiful!! And your Fletcher looks such a calm doggy personality!I hope he had his walk.
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Mark

Thanks for stopping by everyone!

2 Oct '07 3:44 pm
Liza, Fletcher surely did get his walk that day and he even let me take three pictures of him without making any "I-hate-this" faces.

Thanks for mentioning the doggies, Bambi. Like parents everywhere I do dote on the kids and love to hear their praises sung. I love to get early morning light on the flowers and like you I like the way Mr. Thomas' flowers glow when backlit.

Faith you are very reassuring about the garden but don't forget you only get to see the spots where I point the camera. I may have omitted the weeds coming up in the driveway and the jasmine which is trying to rip the stairs off the deck near the hot tub. I might also have left out the boxes of old magazines I need to drop off and the debris pile from ripping out the old veggie garden. Oh well, I'll do what I can and will still enjoy a flickr friend visit regardless. I only know her first name which is Kate. How interesting that you worked in that field too, definitely a fantasy occupations for me. She may be too busy stop by anyhow, but if not you know I will tell all. (Got any secrets you want to tell me?;)

I'm glad to hear the seeds survived the trip, Gordon. I've got to warn you that that euphorbia is probably very cold tender. Of course, you'll probably successfully raise enough that you can afford to test their limits some. I'm not sure which flowers you mean on the tall, thin cactus. I think that is 'California Fuschia' growing near by. I'll see if I have a photo to show you of it. The flowers on that cactus itself are little tubes, 4 or 5 inches long and maybe 3/4 to 1/2 inch wide which never open more than just enough to stick out its stamens.

Thanks again for coming by. Where shall we meet next time?
Zauschneria.JPG
The flower near the cactus I think you mean.
Strausii flowers.JPG
Flowers of the cactus itself. Wierd hey?
2006 Zauschneria.JPG
Better shot of the Zauschneria from 2006, a late summer/fall bloomer.
onemorepondshot.JPG
Here is one I left out of the pond in the morning.
Mark in California

PreviousNext

Return to My Garden Diaries