Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

Re: A Garden Grows in California

28 Jun '17 9:31 am
Been too long. Hope I can remember to get the file size down to what it needs to be. Oh good, got it.

Well I finally made my garden available for one of our national garden conservancy open days this past April. That caused me to finish up a good number of projects. I sure did clear out a lot of junk.

I finally got around to planting out the side garden. Used to be such guests had to traverse a whole lot of ground I hadn't gotten to before getting to the back garden. This raised bed is pretty much the first thing you see upon entering the gate now.

New Raised bed.jpg

Beyond that first raised bed there were a lot of Geranium maderense in bloom for my open garden day.

White geranium maderense.jpg

If you look through those echiums (Mr. Happy) you can see the area I did the most work in which used to be the vegetable garden, to the side of the deck with the gazebo.

Echiums.jpg

I planted the area beside the deck with the gazebo to appeal to butterflies. Here is Heidi, now 8 years old.

Heidi.jpg

At the end of the driveway is a row of sconce planters in which I grow Agapetes. This one is the A. serpens cultivar 'Ludgvan Cross', with the back garden in the background.

Agapetes.jpg

Looking into the back garden through that gate, the glowing foliage being backlit by the sun belongs to Acacia cognata. That's Smokey beside the fountain. He'll be two years old at the end of next month.

Fountain.jpg

Looking the other direction through the same gate you see the chairs. The rose is called Royal Sunset. I've been calling this area the gravel entry garden.

Chairs.jpg

The back garden is the part I've shared here the most so here one from back that way.

Lobelia.jpg
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

28 Jun '17 9:35 am
Oh, I nearly forgot. On that open day back on April 22, a fellow visited who writes an online garden blog called Succulents and More. I hadn't met him that day but someone pointed me to his write up and I was very pleased to hear about my garden from his point of view and also to see it through his camera's lens. If you're curious this is the link.

http://www.succulentsandmore.com/2017/0 ... .html#more
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

25 Jul '17 3:02 am
Lovely to see some photos of your garden again Mark, and interesting to see someone else's view of it too.

Previous

Return to My Garden Diaries