Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

Re: A Garden Grows in California

18 Feb '14 3:15 pm
Well now to try for something a little harder. Some pix I took with my camera phone of a project I'm working on in the front garden.

Yay, it worked. Hello down-under friends. Long time, no see. These are basically before or in-process photos for a newly planted area.

This past fall I hired a guy to take out a forty foot long hedge of Pyrocantha bushes, all of them more than 30 years old and prone to growing way too high and dangerously far out over the side walk each year. I believe I have older photos here of what it looked like with the Kiftsgate rose over the top and interwoven with a tall red blooming Salvia. Any how the guy rooted out all of it accept the rose and that he cut to the ground. As you might be able to see the rose is well on its way to colonizing the new trellis I've put in for it.

The two twenty foot long stretches of trellis are anchored to structures in the back which add support for the fence as well. I managed to salvage the redwood siding facing the fence and paint stained it but I had to replace all of the supporting members and add a few new posts. This past Saturday I found a neighbor who had torn out an old concrete patio. I brought home the pieces in two truck loads to create the raised bed you in the photos. This bed includes the rose and some other plants which will receive more regular water. The rest will be planted to need less or now water once established. I've already moved some plants I had moved from pots and other parts of the garden. Sunday I planted out a couple dozen plants I'd been collecting and then went shopping for more. These I also put in the ground. I'm hoping this area will make a splash this season. I know it will require a lot of weeding to remove anything that sprouts from old bits of missed roots. I'll try to get some after photos later on.
111New front border.jpg
111WithTrellis.jpg
111RaisedBedDetail.jpg
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

18 Feb '14 6:50 pm
They look so content! But why does nearly every website I go on suddenly have these **** magnifying glasses over the pictures and when you move the cursor over the picture an ad pops up? What a nuisance! It's on real estate sites and now here at Mooseys! I hate it!!

Mark

19 Feb '14 1:59 am
Weird. I don't get any adds from my side. Do you mean when you click on the picture instead of merely magnifying it you're also being shown an add? Sorry about that but it can't be coming from flickr since I loaded these directly from iphoto on my desktop.
Mark in California

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

19 Feb '14 5:51 am
I don't even have to click on the picture, just happen to run the cursor over it and the same ad pops up! It's happening with every website I go to and it's always the same ad, something about "Mom's list" or something like that. it's as if a virus has sneaked onto my computer, but my virus checker is up to date. I tried to find the section on my browser, Chrome, that prevents pop-ups, but I can't find it. This thing makes it so unpleasant looking at pages that I find myself avoiding them! Hmm . . . any ideas?

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

19 Feb '14 6:40 am
Wow Mark you have been busy! Is this the footpath side of your property? That rose looks none too upset about being chopped to the ground :) I like the round terracotta ring with a flax (?) in it, or is it a sunken pot? Either way it looks col.

Oh dear Gordon. I don't have that problem at all. I fear my friend, it is something affecting your computer :( After those insightful words of wisdom I have nothing on how this may be remedied!

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

19 Feb '14 7:25 am
Thanks! I'll search around some more for a solution!

Mark

19 Feb '14 4:05 pm
It is indeed, Kerole. Our lot is a 100 feet along the street with the building taking up forty feet in one corner. So I'm enjoying working in this area and chatting with neighbors who I never see in the back garden. Now I hope it gets treated well. Our neighborhood is at least a little 'sketchy', so I can't count on not getting some damage. But I certainly have a lot of support in the neighborhood so we'll see.

Hope you find the problem Gordon. I just count my lucky stars the same isn't happening to me right now because if it were I wouldn't have a clue.
Mark in California

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

22 Feb '14 6:54 pm
Hi Mark. Lovely to see you back. I wondered if maybe you had done all you wanted with your garden and decided you had no more to say about it. :( Good to see you're feeling inspired and enthusiastic about it. Gorgeous pic of the dogs too. :)

Mark

11 Jan '16 12:11 am
Long time no see. A very long time. Glad to see we are still up and running and have not been swallowed up by Facebook (even if I have). So I will try to post a few photos of what has become of that new front border which was the subject of my last post a couple of years ago. There have been a few successes and I have to say my favorite thing about the front border is all the neighbors I've met who stop to talk about the garden.

These are from 2014

These are from Spring of 2015

These are from the Summer of 2015

Mark in California

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

12 Jan '16 10:26 am
Wow! It is looking fantastic. Clearly a hot and dry area. I love the white rose that's taken over the pergola. What is it?

The hot colours suit the aridness. Does is get water?

PreviousNext

Return to My Garden Diaries