Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

Re: A Garden Grows in California

12 Jan '16 11:03 am
Hi Kerole. Good to be back. The rose is the rambler 'Kiftsgate' whose progenitor I got to visit in England back in 2008. It is famous for its ambitious growth habit. The pergola is about 40 feet long, 5 or 6 feet wide and sits 12 to 10 feet above the side walk. The pictures above show it in its second summer after being cut to the ground (and some of its roots no doubt being chopped in taking out the big pyrocantha bushes that had reigned here for more than thirty years. Suffice to say there is plenty of rose here to fill the pergola, along with a few trees if I let it.

This front border gets late afternoon sun, and in the summer will be in sun starting pretty early in the morning. But being a coastal mediterranean climate we rarely get much heat. In the summer 80 fahrenheit is a hot day and in the 90's very rare. I do like the hot colors though and all that light from above and reflected up from the concrete does seem to support them. The only water it gets is from a hose which I do use during our dry summers, but only for particular plants. I try to limit water use as much as possible.
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

18 Jan '16 2:36 am
So great to see you Mark. Love the photos.

fenwillow
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada

25 Jan '16 6:01 am
Beautiful pics Mark... we're still in winter cold here in British Columbia, but I'm looking forward to Spring. I think the hellebores are coming soon! It's always lovely to seeing gardens in different zones, both time and frost free.
FenWillow,
Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Canada

Mark

25 Jan '16 1:58 pm
Hey there is something new getting ready to flower for me for the first time called Beshornaria alba, a yucca relative. Here is a picture of it's emerging flower stalk.

And here for a sense of scale are the dogs.

And here is a view from the back of the garden out over the pond. You can just see the plant with its flower stalk on the right side of this picture. There are two of that plant, pretty much side by side.

And here is a bonus photo showing the garden looking back in the other direction.

Mark in California

fenwillow
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada

26 Jan '16 8:36 am
It's so lovely Mark! It looks like you've done a wonderful job of planting for your area. I'm guessing you planned for low water usage. I have a yucca here too... just an ordinary one, and not nearly as big and healthy as yours. Mine has to sit all winter in somewhat soggy ground, so I guess I'm lucky to have it at all!
FenWillow,
Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Canada

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

26 Jan '16 10:21 pm
Love the photos, the first one is amazing. :)

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

28 Jan '16 8:18 am
Very impressive looking bud! Will the parent plant die after flowering?

Mark

28 Jan '16 9:17 am
I'm told that this is the only Beshornaria that forms a trunk and branches. So the leaves around this bloom will die but the plant should go on. We shall see. It will be the first time this has bloomed for me.
Mark in California

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

30 Jan '16 7:52 am
Is the bud putting on a foot of growth a day or is it taking its sweet time? :)

Mark

30 Jan '16 11:36 am
I don't think it is nearly that fast, Kerole. But those photos were taken Sunday and today is Friday. If it isn't raining too hard I'll go get a 5 days later photo and see if we can tell if there's any evident growth. Will be right back.
Mark in California

PreviousNext

Return to My Garden Diaries