Faith S
Perpetually learning gardener
Alabama, USA

Stars on doors

5 Jul '07 7:33 am
I like the star on what is otherwise a very utilitarian door. Gives an air of mystery like it might be a door to a secret room. Your entranceway is very nice also. Lots of "curb appeal". The plant you asked about looks like a Chrysanthemum parthenium. Do the flowerstalks arise from a ground hugging rosette of leaves? If so, that is probably what it is. Very pretty.
Faith at Bide-a-Wee Farm, Alabama, USA

Come abide with me a wee while.

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

Hi Quill

5 Jul '07 9:21 am
I'm not at all sure but the little daisy looks a bit like "Flea Bane", one of the Erigerons. By the way, I love that shot of the border in your backyard. The layering is just the way I like it and I like that the plants are in the direct light while the side of the house is not. All of your photos have tremendous saturated color and sparkling clear focus. Do you take some of them, like the ones of the clematis, with a stand and prolonged exposure? I've got to learn to do that.
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

QuillGordon
valued helper
Sandy, Utah

12 Jul '07 2:50 pm
Thank you and sorry Mark, it has taken me so long to get back, I've been wetting a line...

I shoot below the meter on the camera usually by a 1/2 or a full stop... It helps saturate colors and will bring out the contrast...

8)

QuillGordon
valued helper
Sandy, Utah

12 Jul '07 2:54 pm
Here's a few more...

8)

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Magnificent!!

12 Jul '07 8:18 pm
Quill, I am an old admirer of your gorgeous photos and garden!! What excellent compositions!! What a lovely and well taken care garden!! Happiness and good taste are everpresent here!!
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

QuillGordon
valued helper
Sandy, Utah

13 Jul '07 4:57 am
Thank you Liza... :D

8)

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

Thanks for the camera tips, Quill.

13 Jul '07 5:33 am
I'm not sure my digital camera has stops but I will try to find out.
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

Faith S
Perpetually learning gardener
Alabama, USA

Camera tips

13 Jul '07 9:19 am
I too thank you for sharing your secrets with the camera. I know my camera has features for manually setting the stops, etc. I just haven't figured out how to use them yet. You have inspired me to do some experimenting.

The trout was beautiful and your composition very nice. Excellent work on your beautiful borders. They looked so perfectly groomed. Make mine look rather scruffy in comparison.
Faith at Bide-a-Wee Farm, Alabama, USA

Come abide with me a wee while.

Previous

Return to My Garden Diaries