Jack's Autumn Diary

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener
SEQUOIA FARM Haenertsburg South Africa

Jack's Autumn Diary

8 Apr '07 7:21 pm
I find it difficult to get cranked up after the holiday in Namibia. I lack the energy to start on new projects and am frustrated by what happened (or didn't happen) in my absence. The lower Rosemary Border, for instance, has been rather haphazardly cleared, looking like a mangy dog now. Why? Plus I wanted to leave the plant material as a mulch in order to finish seeding. Now it is on the compost heap and next year will be coming up all over. (Guess that will cause much joy though :lol: ) I didn't expect the staff to start clearing yet, I guess... But now we can plant a Namaqua mix for winter!

Comparing autumn pics with last year - autumn, to my surprise, is late! The oaks seem on schedule, but maples, liquodambers and others seem over two weeks behind. Perhaps it was the heat which lasted till mid March.

Anyway, inspired by Gordon's regular postings on developments in his garden and season, I intend to get into the swing of autumn. Right now there is too much headspace and too little get out there and be part of it in my life (a rather constant failing: I love something a friend of mine said of herself after spending an entire weekend sitting on the inner edge of the underwater level of The Embarkment, with her elbows and book on the edge of the lowest level above water: "My head and my body don't often get together")

To celebrate autumn I took a new autumn avatar pic yesterday, with a composition that can be squared off, making the most of the available space. As always the subject is my garden's icon, the bridge, which is in what I call a Rustic Deconstructivist Oriental Style :wink: The foreground tree is a Parrotia. And as pics are the thing, I shall post a few randow autumn pics taken since my return last week.
Early days, autumn 07.JPG
This was taken 070407. My very first pic on the forum, showing much more autumn colour, was taken 060311 - nearly a month earlier!
Autumnal reflection.JPG
Looking up into the maple reflected in the previous photo.JPG
It was whilst taking these pics that Barbara found me before the other dogs did.
Magic spaces - taken from under the autumnal tree.JPG
My ongoing love for Chrysanthemum 'Silver and Gold' continues - the gold bit is finally obvious.JPG
Remember my pics in winter (burnished colours) and summer (perfect grooming)? what a stayer!

Faith S
Perpetually learning gardener
Alabama, USA

Fall ramblings

10 Apr '07 2:38 am
That's the way to go Jack. I loved your photo looking up into the maple tree. Such beautiful soft colors.
Faith at Bide-a-Wee Farm, Alabama, USA

Come abide with me a wee while.

GardenGnome
Happily Toiling Away
Regina, Saskatchewan

I almost envy you.

11 Apr '07 6:38 am
Spring is just getting underway here, but Autumn is still my favorite time of year. Always has been. Don't get me wrong. I love Summer and Spring very much, but there is something about fall time that is hard to express. Always my favorite.

Nice pix, Jack.

Christopher
A Gnome's at home in his garden.

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener

HEADLINE: Photogenic autumn leads to canine frustration

15 Apr '07 9:03 pm
I've been taking photos over the last few days and hope to post a few tonight. Right now I'm off to Sunday lunch with friends. As usual half of me resents leaving the garden to do other things...

Meanwhile I leave you this shot of - finally - ALL 5 DOGS TOGETHER!
I take photos, they want to walk - various ways of dealing with the frustration.JPG

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

16 Apr '07 12:59 am
Wow!! I do love the photo AND the dogs! What a great instant to capture them all together!
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

zuzu's petals
valued member
Coastal N.Carolina

Ahh, such peace ~

16 Apr '07 3:34 am
How marvelous to enjoy the quiet richness of autumn in your garden
just as spring is blustering and violently shaking off
the last of her tender blossoms here in mine.

There is a storm front moving through, cold air colliding with warm,
gusty winds whipping Cherry blossoms and Wisteria to pieces, there are
tornado watches in effect today, peeks of sun followed almost instantly
by thundery, streaming downpours! :shock: Spring can be such a moody season.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no hurry for autumn to arrive here,
but your lovely photos are so calming, just what I need today, thanks much.

Now, hurry along on your walk, those precious pups have waited long enough. :lol:
~~*~~ zuzu ~~*~~

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."
~ Alfred Austin ~

Faith S
Perpetually learning gardener
Alabama, USA

16 Apr '07 3:39 am
Ditto!
Faith at Bide-a-Wee Farm, Alabama, USA

Come abide with me a wee while.

GardenGnome
Happily Toiling Away
Regina, Saskatchewan

16 Apr '07 4:42 am
I love your dogs. Quite the crew.

Christopher
A Gnome's at home in his garden.

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener

Sunday evening

16 Apr '07 6:17 am
After lunch a friend brought her aunt, a famous gardener on the mountain in her day, now 89 and the short-term memory quite gone, and we walked, after coffee under the oak, across the dam wall, over the bridge and all round the dam collecting autumn leaves. She was enchanted, and the fact that she told me 50 times that I live in paradise had little to do with her memory lapses :) Oh, that I may still be able to walk this route 40 years from now!

Here are the pics from the last few days, in no particular order, and with random comments...

Well not quite: I'll start with shots from the Long Border, the 80 odd meters that flank the drive from the public road down to the first dam. It started life colour-themed, but very quickly became more of a shrub border. It is pleasing, but one of the many areas in the garden that can do with some ruthless rethinking...
Only twice before has Tibouchina macrantha , here with 'Silver andGold' in the Long Border, flowered for me.JPG
THis is a relation of the pink and purple trees I mention in the Garden Tours 'tropical trees' post.
Styrax obassiata, grown from seed and Sequoia grown from a cutting at the top end of the Long Border.JPG
At least I think it is Styrax - on checking the details these leaves are heart shaped.Help: small tree, heart-shaped leaves, good autumn colour, 'x' in the name?? But I know I DO have S. obassia... where then?
The Portland 'Jacques Cartier', one of my favourite roses, in the Long Border.JPG
It strikes very easily from cuttings, flowers on and off all summer and holds its lovely scented blooms upright on short necks
Also in the Long Border is my best seed-grown witchhazel - it flowers well, colours well and quickly loses its leaves.JPG
The one in the prime position on the lawn needs to have its dead leaves snipped off if the flowers are to be appreciated - grrr
The view from my parents' stoep (veranda) - they'd better return soon from their trip to the Cape...JPG
Having said that autumn is late this year, we have entered the zenith - 15 April to 15 May - and it shows!
Getting in the way.JPG
Moi, making one of my rare public appearances -I was trying to coax the dogs into the foreground whilst taking the autumn trees in the background. They would have it differently... (Slow release on tripod, Silly!)
Camellia sasanqua.JPG
What I love about the sasanquas is they flower BEFORE the cold!
Summer must be over; by late afternoon last night's rain had not quite dried off this scented old HT.JPG
Photographed in Trudie's Garden; a dear friend, she gave me all her roses as she felt she could no longer care for them properly. I planted them outside the living room window for me ol' mum's old age.
My 'red plane' - a mystery which I bought as a sapling because its autumn leaves were red not yellow, and Acer rubra.JPG
Acer rubra - to continue the theme - gives me butter yellow autumn leaves in stead of red!
Autumn mists.JPG
A bank of Salvia leucantha forms a wonderful foreground contrast to the fiery autumn colours.
Liquodamber.JPG
Liquodamber possess the most amazingly varied autumn leaves! Sometimes whole branches turn similarly, sometimes each leaf is different
Liquodamber 2.JPG
Luckily we have many specimens, with a 200m avenue marching up the hill (visible in 'Autumn mists') and another avenue as backdrop to the Arboretum (see 'View from stoep')

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener

Spiderman!

16 Apr '07 4:27 pm
Here's a pic that I didn't realise I hadn't posted yesterday. This unusual looking shield spider is very common on the farm, but I've never seen it anywhere else. The colours and patterns show some variation from spider to spider.

This lady was sitting right on my lens after I'd crawled through some undergrowth to get the liquodamber close-ups...
A shield spider sitting on my hand.JPG

Next

Return to My Garden Diaries