MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Re: Gordon's Garden Diary

29 Sep '15 3:19 pm
Great info from Kerole. I remember when we first planted agapanthus we were told they don't flower as well in shade. Maybe that's why the miniatures outside my window aren't doing as well? They were in full sun when planted but now the tree has grown up. Well, that confirms it, I'll look for a new spot for them.

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

29 Sep '15 4:10 pm
For next year, I wonder if they'll do better if I locate them with the bottom of the pot in about 2 inches of water in willy's Pond where they'll get most of the morning sun but no afternoon sun. What do you think?

BTW, This weekend I'm getting a 3 ft. diameter concrete block fire pit which I'll use as a pot for my Chinese Penjing pine tree. It's been in a very large pot for years but in this climate, I think it needs to get its roots further down to protect it from the extreme summer drought and heat (not to mention the winter cold and lack of snow cover). I can hardly wait to get the baby settled at last!

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

29 Sep '15 4:45 pm
I don't think they need to sit in water? :? Most of ours are on a sunny slope and are lucky if they get watered at all.

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

29 Sep '15 6:21 pm
Oops! I just reread Kerole's suggestions and, you're right - they definitely do not like wet roots! Now, as to getting sunlight early in the season, do you think a sunny south-facing (in the northern hemisphere) window would do? Trouble is that I get an awful lot of sunshine but the temperature is often too cold for aggies outside in spring. Same is probably true of bougainvileas. Maybe that's why I got only one bloom on mine, very late in the season, even though this has been a very hot, sunny summer.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

6 Oct '15 11:12 am
Definitely do not leave it soaking in water! It will be happy drying out in the sun with weekly watering.

I guess a sunny window is better than nothing. Perhaps as the days become less frigid, you could put the pot out with some clear plastic or glass around it? Kinda like a temporary glasshouse? I think it would help if you warmed the pot too, not just the leaves.

Best of luck :)

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

6 Oct '15 3:52 pm
Thanks, Kerole! I should have more pix to post in a day or so. Very busy around here lately! Lovely Fall weather with no frost yet but it's all around us at night. Most of my overwintering plants are inside already and spring bulbs have been planted. Today I picked the last of the beans and squashes.

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

6 Oct '15 7:25 pm
Here it is, October, and here are the latest pix from my garden. On balance, and considering the health issues I've had this year, I think the new garden has done pretty well. I think it's coming together fairly well. Still a long way to go before I am happy with it (i.e., the heavy work is complete), but I think I've done well in just over a year. I suppose that in the not-too-distant future the snow will drift in over the river to blanket the ground with its white blanket and the plants will rest again. Meanwhile, I'll be inside happily planning for next year and babying the overwinterers that fill the window sills!

Here's how things looked yesterday.
Oct 3, 2015- 1.jpg
My Penjing pine tree in its new concrete planter. Hopefully, its last resting spot, and I hope it doesn't die as it nearly tore off all its roots when I upturned the pot to get it out! Currently it's underplanted with some Camassia bulbs.
Oct 4, 2015- 1.jpg
Another view of the pine at the font of the house, with the veggie garden behind it.
Oct 4, 2015- 2.jpg
Don't know what these are. I recently bought them on sale but with no name. I thought they might be Anthemis, but the leaves don't look right for that. Anyone have a suggestion?
Oct 4, 2015- 3.jpg
Autumn crocus (not Colchicums). I played with the colour a bit to show off their wonderful sky blue colour, but I don't think it worked very well!
Oct 4, 2015- 4B.jpg
Lovely Autumn leaves on the Balloon Flower. Pretty in Spring, pretty in Fall - not bad, eh?
Oct 4, 2015- 5.jpg
This hydrangea is still putting out new blossoms; this one was pure white a week ago!
Oct 4, 2015- 7.jpg
Hollyhocks are still putting out new flowers!
Oct 4, 2015- 8.jpg
Another newcomer bought at half price but with no label. Could it be a Miscanthus?
Oct 4, 2015- 9.jpg
My garden mums began opening on Oct. 1. Now they're a focal point for this part of the garden.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

7 Oct '15 2:04 am
Lovely. :)

fenwillow
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada

8 Oct '15 5:27 am
I think you've done an amazing job with your garden, especially considering your health issues. It's great to see it coming together and all your work paying off. The pine tree looks so good in it's new planter.

I can't say that I'm looking forward to our promised el nino winter... that could mean too much rain in the Fraser Valley, but we'll see. It would be nice to have a normal snowpack in the mountains, with enough thaw in the spring for good water supplies.

Like you I'm looking forward to planning for next year and am really enjoying watching Moosey and the southern hemisphere forum members' comments and photos.

Happy gardening and garden planning!
FenWillow,
Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Canada

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

8 Oct '15 4:20 pm
Thanks, June. Yes, this could be an interesting winter. I can hardly wait for spring to see how everything comes through the winter and to see my grape arbour being built! How will the colours go together? Will the tall plants be in the right locations or will they hide the shorties?

Meanwhile, I'm really enjoying this Autumn and the plants I have, and I hope you are, too!

PreviousNext

Return to My Garden Diaries