Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

Re: Gordon's Garden Diary

11 Jan '16 12:52 am
Wow your balloon flower leaves really color up beautifully. Mine just look ratty when they're spent, without the nice color. =(

Hello too to fenwillow, a neighbor of yours? Nice to find while you're down under at Moosey's.

It has been so long for me since I've been around to see all my buddies at Moosey's. Of course I follow you on Facebook too but I get a better garden report from you here.
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

11 Jan '16 12:04 pm
Thanks, Mark! I was very pleased with the way those balloonflowers coloured up this year. Last year they had just been planted and I wondeted if they would even survive the winter.

Fenwillow lives about 3 or 4 hours south of me. We've never met in person but if ever I have time on one of my trips to Vamcouver, I'd love to meet her and visit her garden#

fenwillow
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada

14 Jan '16 5:06 am
Thank you Gordon, and welcome back Mark! It's true that facebook does seem to suck up the whole universe, but I love Moosey's and keep coming back.

Sometime when you're coming to the 'coast' Gordon, please let me know if you'd like a garden visit. I can't guarantee that it will live up to the pictures... I seem to be older and less energetic! How does this happen? :wink:
FenWillow,
Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Canada

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

14 Jan '16 3:42 pm
Thanks, June. Sometime in spring or early summer I'll let you know when I'm coming down and maybe we'll be able to plan a garden visit. I'd love to do that! Are you anywhere near Hatzik Gardens (are they still open)?

fenwillow

15 Jan '16 5:04 am
Do you mean Minter Gardens,just of the highway by the Agassiz turnoff? They're closed. I'm closer to Cultus Lake near Chilliwack.
FenWillow,
Canada

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

15 Jan '16 7:29 pm
Nope. It seems to me that there used to be a nursery that specialized in peonies somewhere near Mission. I think it was called Hatzic Gardens as it was near Hatzic lake.

fenwillow

25 Jan '16 6:18 am
Do you mean Ferncliff Gardens? It's in that area and specializes in peonies. In fact I have a friend who lives nearby. Ferncliff also specializes in dahlias and many of mine originated from their stock. It's a beautiful location with it's rolling hills.

I live on the other side of the Fraser River, the Hwy 1 side, near Chilliwack. I think the Lougheed Hwy side is prettier, more varied landscapes, hillier while the Hwy 1 side is flatter and more suitable to large field farming, lots of corn, berries... each lovely but in different ways.

Thanks for reminding me of Ferncliff though, happy memories.
FenWillow,
Canada

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

25 Jan '16 12:49 pm
I think you might be right! Perhaps it IS Ferncliff Gardens! I'll have to search it out and see if they have a website! Thanks so much!

Previous

Return to My Garden Diaries