Re: Gordon's Garden Diary

26 Aug '15 2:50 pm
A video? Do tell more....

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

26 Aug '15 4:02 pm
The 6 minute video is up on Vimeo but I don't know if I can link it to Moosey's or not (or how to do it). I think it turned out pretty well for a first attempt. It shows only parts of my veggie garden and Hugelbed.

If anyone knows about uploading links to videos, please tell me!

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

27 Aug '15 1:05 am
If you post the addy we can copy and paste it, or it might autolink.

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

27 Aug '15 3:40 pm
Here's the link to the video of my garden tour on Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/137211895

I hope you enjoy it! We'll try to do another one later in the Fall.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

9 Sep '15 2:53 pm
Well that's frustrating, I keep getting a message that I need an upgrade. I have had intermittent problems with YouTube but never with Vimeo before. :( I'm getting a new computer soon so I'll have to catch up then.

fenwillow
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada

10 Sep '15 7:12 am
I can open your garden video link on my computer Gordon. Is that what you were concerned about... it not opening? Maybe you're the only one who can't open it? I can watch it through here and I originally watched it on fb I think. Hope you get your computer sorted out soon and that other people can watch the video too!
FenWillow,
Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Canada

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

10 Sep '15 5:18 pm
So far I've heard of only 2 people who have had trouble with the video - MacFlax and someone else who had lots of background noise over the soundtrack.

The friend who made it wants to redo it with more details as he has been told "how informative it was" and he wants me to explain more about the Hugelbed,

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

11 Sep '15 5:23 pm
I've had some potted agapanthus bulbs for several years and they have never bloomed. They are in a large, deep clay pot and they spend their winters dormant, indoors. Is there a trick to make them flower? Do they need to be kept wet at the side of a pond? Do they need drought? Full sun or shade? Summer is nearly over and still not one bud!

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

11 Sep '15 6:53 pm
Sorry I've been a bit absent Gordon. I'll have a crack at answering your query on aggies.

They definitely do not like having wet roots. They are super unfussy in moderate climes. Down-right weedish in fact. They will grow in drainage ditches and alongside ponds but they do not prefer this.

Mature aggies have thick white fleshy roots that hold water during drought times. Once they're mature, they're pretty hard to kill from lack of water.

Once a big thick basal area has formed, they will survive quite severe frosts as the foliage protects the basal area. They do not like frozen ground - at all. Once their fleshy roots freeze, its the end of them.

Flowering is all about daylight hours. Well, sunshine hours really. The sooner you can get it into the spring sun, the better. They flower in the height of summer but only if they've had enough sunshine days up til then. They will not flower in the shade, even dappled shade will reduce flowering substantially.

They prefer impoverished soil. Stony, gravel, sandy, baked hard. You get the idea. No feeding for a few years. This makes long, weak foliage rather than flowers and water-retaining roots.

Here's what I'd do. As soon as the winter freeze ends, get it out into the spring sun but protect from cold winds or drastic temperature changes (under clear plastic cover perhaps?). Direct, baking heat all summer. Give it a little bright shade through the worst of the day if the edges of the leaves start to burn (yellow). Water it well once a week. Allow it to totally dry out in between.

Best of luck Gordon!

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

12 Sep '15 6:26 pm
Thanks very much, Kerole, for the tips on aggies! I think I've been doing several things incorrectly, so no surprise that they haven't bloomed. I'll follow your advice next summer and see what happens with them!

PreviousNext

Return to My Garden Diaries