Greetings from Dorset!

Silvercloud
contributor
Dorset, UK

Greetings from Dorset!

21 Jun '06 6:01 am
Hi All!

Found this site some while ago, but only just got round to registering and posting this!

I'm in Dorset - South coast of England - the mildest area of England I have lived in so far! I have the most challenging garden, however, that I have ever had - gardening on a 45 degree slope, acid soil and loooooooooooads of trees!!

I visited NZ in February, 2004 but only saw the top of the North Island, fell in love with it though, so will definately be back to see the rest sometime soon hopefully!

I'm also an NZ rugby fan - All Blacks and the Crusaders. Saw the All Blacks play for the first time "in the flesh" in the centinary match in Cardiff last November - wonderful!!

I spent 17 years on and off working in primary schools with special needs children, but am now " a lady of leisure" ha! ha!

Well, enough rambling from me - bye for now. :D

moosey
head gardener

greetings!

21 Jun '06 2:20 pm
Welcome to the forums, and please - keep on rambling! Us ladies of leisure must stick together!

I retired at the beginning of this year and just haven't had a backward glance - not even a peep. I'm not sure I've done more (i.e. quantity) work in the garden, but there's much more quality! And energy! Except for winter sulking, that is!
Post up some pictures of your summery garden, please!
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Greetings

21 Jun '06 3:52 pm
My brother and his family recently lived and worked in Bournemouth for a year .It seems like a lovely place.
Lots of gardeners get frustrated about absolutely flat land to garden on (drainage etc) ,however ,the angle of land you are going to work with can be described as 'interesting '! ! ! Are you going to terrace it ? One problem is of course ,that when you put compost or mulch on your land ,the whole lot can disappear down the hill on the first wet day !(It`s happened to me ) All the Best ...
Dixie

goose
Weekend Gardener
Coatesville , New Zealand

Welcome to the forums

21 Jun '06 7:14 pm
I visited Dorset many years ago on my travels. Such a beautiful part of England. I hope you will be able to share the progress of taming your challenging garden with us. We all love to see pix. We have many different types of gardens here on the forum so it is a lot of fun.
Goose

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Silvercloud
contributor
Dorset, UK

21 Jun '06 9:55 pm
Hi All!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

We have been here nearly 9 years, but the garden is only just starting to take shape. The house is an Edwardian 3 storey one which celebrates its 100th birthday this year. I think the whole area once belonged to a grand house on top of the hill and was subsequently divided into smaller plots - this house being built on one of, if not the steepest!

There has been much work to do, both in the house and the garden and it is a long, slow process which will continue for many years I think!

The back garden was covered with 20 to 30 ft common rhodedendrons (sp?) very high laurel hedges and edged with many ancient fir trees, there are also silver birches, a huge beech tree, many flowering cherries, variegated holly - the list goes on - and all protected from being touched in any way without the approval of the local council! The whole plot is only a 1/3 of an acre so the trees are definately a problem!

There has been an attempt to terrace it at some point, by previous owners, but there are only retaining walls near the house, so although we cut the "rhodies" down each year to small hummocks we are uncertain about removing them completely in case everything slides towards the house!

Unfortunately, there is not a lot to see - compared to your beautiful pictures, but I do have one or two beautiful specimens I have photographed in the past, so I'll dig out the CD-ROM I have them on sometime soon and post them up.

Take care all, bye for now. :D
Last edited by Silvercloud on 22 Jun '06 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Edna Walling

22 Jun '06 6:59 am
O Dear, Your challenges are so daunting Silvercloud ,made even more difficult by the regulations !!
Go to Google, and type in 'Edna Walling Landscapes'. She has also written several books....She believed in working with existing landscapes ...She was English -born (Devon ? )but lived in Australia ,and created some wonderful gardens out of 'what was there 'I really like her style. Being a 'colonial 'I am intrigued by your 100 year -old home ,so pictures of your place would be so interesting .Good Luck !
Dixie.

Return to Mooseys Garden Guest Book