alevin
contributor
Ischia, Italy

Let me introduce myself

10 Apr '06 3:11 am
After lurking for a while, I discovered where I should post a note to introduce myself. Clever of me, isn't it? Well my name is Alessandra, I am Italian, I live and garden in the island Ischia off the bay of Naples, and I am in charge of these gardens: www.lamortella.it. Before working here, I was head gardener in other big gardens open to the public in and around Rome. I do not have much time to write in forums but I really appreciate the occasional exchange of information and ideas, so thanks to Moosey for offering this virtual bench :D , meaning a place where one can stop amidst gardening chores and talk plants with other keen gardeners.
Ciao to all of you, Alessandra

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener
SEQUOIA FARM Haenertsburg South Africa

Welcome on board!

10 Apr '06 5:00 am
Hi to you, Alessandra! For a moment you had me confused with La Mortola (the closest I ever came to wetting my toes in the Med: I bit into a green olive I had just picked, pulled a face and threw it across the wall towards the sea...) So I checked the La Mortella website and I am green with envy and planning a trip to Italy... when I can afford it (gardening is an expensive hobby!) Last month I finished reading "Facade" (the Sitwell autobiography) so William Walton is on my mind. I know a few of his works: his two symphonies I own, and being born and bred in Johannesburg I am familiar with his Johannesburg Festival Overture (I think it is called.) Obviously I want to listen to 'Facade'. Since I came to classical music via Italian opera it has taken me a while to get into his rather dry English ways...

I shall explore your website further! I envy you your status as a real professional gardener: I sometimes think it would be so much easier if someone paid me to garden in my garden AND provided the budget I would like (i.e. 20 times more than I can afford!!) Contact me directly if you wish, by going to my profile. Regards Jack

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener

Welcome on board!

10 Apr '06 5:02 am
Hi to you, Alessandra! For a moment you had me confused with La Mortola (the closest I ever came to wetting my toes in the Med: I bit into a green olive I had just picked, pulled a face and threw it across the wall towards the sea...) So I checked the La Mortella website and I am green with envy and planning a trip to Italy... when I can afford it (gardening is an expensive hobby!) Last month I finished reading "Facade" (the Sitwell autobiography) so William Walton is on my mind. I know a few of his works: his two symphonies I own, and being born and bred in Johannesburg I am familiar with his Johannesburg Festival Overture (I think it is called.) Obviously I want to listen to 'Facade'. Since I came to classical music via Italian opera it has taken me a while to get into his rather dry English ways...

I shall explore your website further! I envy you your status as a real professional gardener: I sometimes think it would be so much easier if someone paid me to garden in my garden AND provided the budget I would like (i.e. 20 times more than I can afford!!) Contact me directly if you wish, by going to my profile. Regards Jack

moosey
head gardener

10 Apr '06 11:36 am
Hi, Alessandra! I love your phrase about sitting down on a virtual garden bench to rest from the real gardening chores. Which I should be doing right now! Eek! Will defnitely peep at the garden you're in charge of, when I have my second rest, on this big gardening day! Cheers!
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

moosey
head gardener

William Walton and Jack

10 Apr '06 11:40 am
And to you, Jack, wth your beautiful garden, hello again! William Walton's viola concerto is the very best thing he's ever written! That's a random thought, in my little and hopefully humble opinion, as I once tried to play it. Had to do rather a lot of internal head compensating, mind you. Has the most haunting theme I've ever been haunted by!

Oops. Must get back to the garden. Cheers, and start planning that trip to Italy! So many beautiful places to see!
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

alevin
contributor
Ischia, Italy

10 Apr '06 2:09 pm
I am so happy that you are familiar with William Walton's work! You should read his biography "Behind the Facade", written by Lady Walton, the creator of the garden, and one of the most passionate gardeners of our times (besides being one of the most volcanic and unique personalities of the century!).
Yes I know I am very lucky to do this job, I still marvel that people might pay me to do exactly what I would be ready to pay them to do!(if you know what I mean...).
So thank you all for the nice welcome - I put in an avatar that shows Argo my beautiful and beloved dog.

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener

People, gardens, classical music and animals...

10 Apr '06 8:53 pm
Specially for Moosey and Alessandra, but to everyone else out there. What a joy to have found all of these in one spot! I shall - when next I get to a remotely decent CD store (yes - remotely IS a pun!) find the Viola concert. And ditto bookstore with Lady Walton's book! I do envy you your musicality, Moosey! It is a huge gap in my education - I can't sing, am not well co-ordinated, a perfectionist with a good ear - the net result was that I never pursued playing an instrument and was not encouraged to try... Thank heavens for recorded music and friends who are professional musicians! (my goddaughter - mother opera singer, father conductor - wrote me at the age of six 'I am learning the violin. I have learnt the piano.' Now at thirteen she is doing grade 6 Violin AND French Horn!)
I farm & garden on about 100acres in the wet mountains, of which around 20 are garden - some water, some wild, some formal. Pic is of the bridge across my dam overflow

Jack Holloway
Passionate Gardener

Internal Head Compensation

10 Apr '06 8:57 pm
I love that term, Moosey! It applies to so much of my gardening :!: :!: :!: But it is to me a major part of my very intense and personal relationship with my garden - a sort of 'I wish you could see it like I see it' quality which makes it a secret garden even when there are 50 people in it (and to hell with what the garden club ladies think!)
I farm & garden on about 100acres in the wet mountains, of which around 20 are garden - some water, some wild, some formal. Pic is of the bridge across my dam overflow

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

Dearest Alessandra, ....

11 Apr '06 12:27 am
...I really so much enjoy your posts and the warm personality you emanate!
I love the photo with your lovely,beautiful dog, where I very well "read" the same personality on your sweet face!

Yes! Your job is a real blessing, since for all gardeners -- paid by money or not for their gardening -- it is always a blessing! And we are all paid in all the rest deligtful, well known ways , of course...

Since I am myself born on the island of Corfu very near to Italy, I also share your love for music (apart from gardening) and many many other ...Italian things , like Italian Operas, with which my father especially was in love with and used to sing loudly --- with the actual music on !--- every Saturday and Sunday morning! Oh, dear! And I do have some distant Italian relatives ,...and even more, about 5-6 Alessandras and Alessandros among the members of my closest families (: daughter, brother, mother, etc)...Oh, yes! Be always happy and shining , my sweet Alessandra!

P.S.

Having found your island on the map of your gardensite, all those magical memories came back to me, of travelling with my husband to Amalfi 7 years ago -- "See Amalfi and ..die!"-- and staying at Villa Cibrone (Ravello) for 3 nights!! The garden experience of this historic Villa was also something
unforgetable! And the view down to the sea, was undescribably amazing, mesmerizing!...But you have the immence luck to live in one of the most beautiful spots of our dearest Mediterranean Sea, Alessandra!
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

moosey
head gardener

Garden Club Ladies

11 Apr '06 1:01 pm
Jack, I shamelessly use visions of these rather nice people whenever I need a bit of a kick in the gardening pants. Nothing like the thought of a bus-load of floating fifty-plusses to make me work even harder. You should really try it!

Right. Enough of a break. I'm back off outside. I';m planting and weeding, and Rusty the Dog stands in the water race nearby. Every five mnutes or so I throw a leaf in for him to slosh after. He concentrates for hours. Dog relationships are so very relaxing!

Cheers. And your winters sound a lot like mine here. Up north where Pumpkin gardens they don't even know what a frost is! And the only snow they see is on Xmas cards. Hi Pumpkin!
Cheers.
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

Next

Return to Mooseys Garden Guest Book