Greetings

SusanB
honoured contributor

Greetings

6 May '11 11:43 pm
Well silly me, I seem to have introduced myself in the wrong place! #-o
Good morning all, I'm Susan and I think it's fair to say I'm new here. I live just outside of the Washington DC area, zone 7b, and I've been playing in the dirt for less than 2 years now. I started off with Winter sowing and, as my first endeavor filled up one full 25-foot long bed, I absolutely fell in love with it. For now I've just been growing flowers, although my first attempt at tomatoes is awaiting a drink of water as we speak. (I'll give him a nip on my way out to work shortly). He would be in a half-whiskey barrel out front, by the way.
I've got 3 beds now, and a few large containers strewn about; annuals, perennials, schip laurels, assorted bulbs, and my beloved tomato seedling. Oh, and don't forget the yellow jasmin! :) (a gift from a beloved and departed previous neighbor, bless his warm loving soul).

Anyway, just wanted to say hello to everyone, and thank you Moosey for this fabulous place for soil-lovers to get together! =D>
There can be no other occupation like gardening
in which, if you were to creep up behind
someone at their work, you would find them smiling.
~ Mirabel Osler

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Re: Greetings

7 May '11 2:44 am
Hi Susan. I like your signature. :)

moosey
head gardener

7 May '11 12:52 pm
Susan,
Good to see you finally made it! I love your phrase
playing in the dirt
. That makes it still sound fun, which of course it jolly well should be after just two years! I think using containers is a brilliant way to protect things - for one, you don't lose what you planted in them. That's the theory anyway.

Anyway, welcome and thanks for your persistence. (Explanation - I zealously blocked Susan's registration and dumped her on the compost heap to moulder away with hundreds of spammers. How rude!) Just warning you, Susan, that I have been known to ban absolutely everyone from the forum, including myself.

Hope you'll drop by lots and maybe post some pictures of your garden. I'm heading into winter here, so it's really lovely to see spring-summer things from the other half of the world. Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

SusanB
honoured contributor

8 May '11 11:06 pm
Lovely morning all, and thank you. Happy Mother's Day, to all the Mamma's out there, too!

Christmas before last, my wonderful Hubby got me LOADS of gardening goodies, including a delightful book on helpful hints/tips/tidbits about gardening, and it included this gardening quote which I use for my signature. It suits me to a 'T', because I can always be caught smiling as I am out caring for my babies, not to mention while I'm at work caring for the babies there as well.

Heeheee, I'm also glad I crawled off the compost heap and knocked at your door, I wasn't quite ready to become compost just yet. However, ... you've banned yourself? :lol: Now that's zealous housekeeping!

I'll add pics when I can, but this time of year at work really keeps me hopping (we just had a seminar on Organic gardening Friday 'til 8:00), and while we're at it, my house is slightly upside-down while we're preparing to get hardwood flooring installed. Eeep! My flax have been in bloom for a while, and my Shasta Daisies are just starting, and the Aliums are fluffing right along, but that's about it right now, nothing too exciting to take pictures of just yet.

Thank you again for the warm greetings, and I'll see y'all in the forums as much as I can.

CHEERS! :)
~ Mirabel Osler

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

9 May '11 1:36 am
You're getting new flooring installed? But that means... that means... moving everything! :shock:
What sort of flooring, which timber? I would love timber flooring.

moosey
head gardener

Alliums!

9 May '11 7:59 am
Love,love, love Alliums. they seem to me to flower really well in eastern USA (makes me sound like an expert, hee hee). I am a first time Allium grower, one year so far has worked, but I'm wondering if they'll still be there next spring? oh well. I'll let my weather decide I guess! If I can buy them here, doesn't mean I can grow them here, if you know what I mean.
Cheers, and enjoy your spring-summer, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

SusanB
honoured contributor

9 May '11 11:10 am
Hiya! Pheewww, what a day at work today! But it was nothing like yesterday, I tell ya!

Yessirooni, new flooring, and moving everything! (insert EEEK here) Thankfully I had to work and I have a large strong loving giving Hubby who did it all while I was at work, so all I had to do was take care of the grocery shopping yesterday on my way home, then come home to bare plyboard floors and no furniture... well, except in the living room. =D> We've been saving up for what feels like aeons for this, 'cause what we're getting (drumroll please) is Brazillion Tiger Wood. Wheeee! No laminate, thank you kindly, but 3/4" real wood, and woweee is that stuff heavy, and ooooh so beautiful!! You could cut the excitement in this house with a warm melted spoon, lemme tell ya! heeheeheee

Ooooh, and the Alliums, yes!! This is my first attempt at them too, and so far they are loving what I'm doing for them. Lots of organic fertilizer, compost, and singing to them, of course. My flowers seem to be the only ones who like my singing. ;)

Oooooh, and I've got BUDS on my Hollyhock, Yippeee!!! I started it last year from seed, and it leafed out very nicely, didn't really go dormant this past winter (or, maybe I should say it sure kept a lot of green on it all winter long), and now it's about 3 feet across and about 2-3 feet tall and has buds, I'm sooo excited!! And I've only had 1 leaf with rust on it so far, too, woweee! It's in a spot that gets FULL afternoon sun, from about 11:00 AM 'til nightfall, and is very close neighbors with my Shasta daisies and Blue Flax. They're snuggle-buddies, really. Lots of compost, lots of organic fertilizer,... the usual. :)

Anyway, dinner time so time to sally forth to the kitchen (where my floor is still intact, heehee)
Have a wonderful evening all!
~ Mirabel Osler

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

9 May '11 4:16 pm
I googled that timber, it's beautiful!

SusanB
honoured contributor

9 May '11 9:23 pm
MacFlax wrote:I googled that timber, it's beautiful!

It is it is! And it weights a ton, too! Hubby brought home a sample, just 3 simple little boards about 1 foot long each, attached to a light-weight plastic backing.. and yipes! that thing weights about 10 pounds! From what I hear from Mr. Professional Installer-Man, we should never ever ever have any problems with knicks or dents in it either, and he said it could be refinished for the next 150 years and still have enough thickness left to look great.

Meanwhile,.. the house sure does echo (echo... echo) with every sound made in it. I'm sooooo not used to *not* having carpeting... or a bedroom or bathroom, for that matter. ;) Ok, I admit, it's just the guest bath that's gutted, but.. but.. but.. the toilet is sitting in the TUB in there!! Aaaah-hahahahahaaa!!!

I have 5 daisy blooms, meanwhile, and today, I'll just *have* to take a break to take some pics, the flax are still looking so gorgeous, and I do want to "show off" my hollyhock buds. heehee
~ Mirabel Osler

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

9 May '11 10:05 pm
Bathroom reno too? :shock:

Next

Return to Mooseys Garden Guest Book