Greetings

SusanB
honoured contributor

Re: Greetings

10 May '11 10:38 pm
MacFlax wrote:Bathroom reno too? :shock:

Errr umm, yeah, bathrooms too! :o We figure, they're small, so we can handle it... heh heh. Famous last words, huh? Good thing the babies are well fed already for a couple months ("The Babies" would be all my plants/flowers/tomatoes of course!) 'cause there just isn't time to be out and about with them right now like I'd like to.
The bathrooms are getting 'the works', tile (white with black marbling through it), vanities/tops/faucets,
medicine chests, then all the little accessories. Thankfully we don't need new tubs or toilets, the tubs are fine, and the toilets are new Toto's.
Spent yesterday morning buying paint (my GOODNESS a 5-gallon bucket of paint is heavy!) and joint compound and other little goodies, then the rest of the day prepping walls. Now, I really want to paint, but I have to go to work today! :(
There can be no other occupation like gardening
in which, if you were to creep up behind
someone at their work, you would find them smiling.
~ Mirabel Osler

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

11 May '11 9:17 am
How did I miss you? Welcome!

I'm enjoying hearing of your new floors. Exciting stuff indeed! We have a 100+ year old house with lovely wooden floors although ours need some serious work to restore them. Wood is so warm and inviting and it just glows. In our previous home we had wood throughout the entire house, porch, bathroom, kitchen, you name it. This house has some bedrooms with carpet and the bathrooms are tiled (so we can have under-floor heating). Are you doing the whole house?

Lovely choice of wood by the way...

Looking forward to pictures too!

SusanB
honoured contributor

12 May '11 10:32 pm
Good morning Kerole, thank you for the warm greeting!
It's very heartening to hear more happy stories about the love of hardwood flooring, Hubby is still riding the trepidation train about it, heehee. I'd say it's a little late now, what with our floors being bare plyboard and the boxes and boxes of wood planks having already been ordered, but that won't stop him from fretting until it's all installed and looking more fabulous than I can even imagine. Oh, and thank you, we spent many many hours perusing our options, but Alas! my good taste (insert snicker here) prevailed and we ended up going with my choice. :wink: The wall-patching is in full-swing and when I get home from work I'll be back at it again, sanding and taping things off, to begin the actual painting of the walls tomorrow. I will share pics when we get them, I promise!
Meanwhile, I think I'll take my little camera with me on the way out the door this morning and snap a few shots of my pretty little Flax and Daisies snuggling together. I'll apologize in advance that I'm not the shutter-bug that I see so many of you are. :oops: I'll just hope they come out relatively semi-ok and identifyable.
~ Mirabel Osler

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

16 May '11 6:06 pm
I hope the work on your place is progressing well Susan. If you get time to put down the paintbrush maybe you could pick up the camera? :)

Some of our carpet is getting due for replacement and I'm going back and forth between new carpet or beautiful floating timber flooring. Solid timber is supposed to be best but apparently would create challenges for us with making it level with other floors in the house. In the meantime I recently satisfied my love of timber with a nice little side table. Isn't this blackwood beautiful!
P1270850.jpg

SusanB
honoured contributor

29 May '11 11:01 pm
Good morning all, I'm back! :D
Oh MacFlax, that table is gorgeous!! Did you construct it yourself? The wood is fabulous, so rich and warm! =D>

The wood flooring is installed, and we are about 2/3 of the way moved back in again... up from the basement. Oh, and of course all the painting is done, too. After working a 7-day stretch through all the 'construction', I'm POOPED, but Hubby and I put in about 9 hours yesterday moving furniture and boxes of stuff so we could have our livingroom, office (Yay, computers again!!), and bedroom back to 'normal' again. We've still got a bit to do here in this office, and 1 more room to put back together again today, along with grocery shopping (before I go back to work again tomorrow), but mostly today should be a relaxing day, so later, when stuff has gotten done, I'll whip out the camera and share the pics. Yippeee!!
Echinacaea is about ready to bloom, Hollyhock is budding bigger and bigger every day, Daisies and Flax and Bachelor Buttons are going hog-wild, the tomatoes will need to be separated soon, and my combo-container is about over-flowing! =) Oh, and my Lemon Grass is shooting off all over the place, wheee! :D

Happy Memorial Day weekend all, and a BIG THANK YOU to our (USA's) Military, active and retired. <HUGGG!>
~ Mirabel Osler

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

30 May '11 2:49 am
Oh no, we didn't make it ourselves. :oops:
You have been working incredibly hard! I hope it's all done soon and you can sit back and enjoy it.

SusanB
honoured contributor

30 May '11 9:40 am
Ooops, so sorry, I figured you made the table, it's great!

Yes, we've been busy little bees and looking forward to being all done... and having that tile in. Heeheeheee

Ok, the moment you all have been waiting for. (yeah right). Drumroll please while I figure out how to do pictures here... oh dear, seems I need a photo bucket account or something in order to upload photos... #-o
.... or do I?

Before_-_Hallway.jpg
Here is the hallway before painting and flooring. NASTY old "grey" carpet which is not grey anymore, and "white" walls which are not white anymore.
Next we have the
After_-_Hallway.jpg
Now, Mamma's got a brand-new hall! The paint through-out is Natural Linen; a nice off-white, "off" enough to off-set the pure white of the trim and the rich colours of the flooring.
Before_-_office.jpg
Here we have the icky office of old....
After_-_Office.jpg
Here again you can see how the colour of the paint off-sets the other colours nicely. (I can't stop smiling!)

After_-_Living Room With Rug.jpg
I won't even embarrass myself by showing how horrid the living room used to be, it's just dreadful, but here's a nice shot of, not only the flooring (and ottoman), but the area rug we got to go with everything. This is the coolest rug I have ever seen, and it's sooo plushy!!

So, there you have it, a sampling of the new floor and the fun we've had for the last couple of few weeks. Wheeeeee, it would take surgeons to get the smile off my face! :D
Next, I'm going to head outside with the camera and get some nice shots of my babies outside.
~ Mirabel Osler

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

30 May '11 5:39 pm
Gorgeous floor! :) How many sample pots of off-white did you go through before you found the right one? Can you tell we've been through that? :lol:

SusanB
honoured contributor

1 Jun '11 10:19 pm
Thank you! I just realized that I should have turned that "after" one of the hallway around... it's sideways!! I'm sooo sorry! Believe it or not, we went through 0 (zero) sample pots. I browsed and perused the samples at the store, over and over, comparing this one to that one and back again, against this one and that one, then against the "pure white", and against the flooring sample I'd taken with me until I'd decided "THIS one will look nice!" and just went with it, and that was that. I'm rather a black-and-white, just-do-it sort of person, so when I make a decision I just go with it.. (And if Hubby doesn't agree at first, he will agree in the long run, I will help him! Heeheeheee) :D I can be a very positive up-lifting encouraging person when he needs me to be! LOL!!!!! :^o (uh-oh, should I have said "a pushy and over-bearing control freak??) 8-[
Did you guys have to go through many sample pots to choose your colour(s)? What colour(s) did you end up going with? Did you have troubles covering up the trials?

Now, I have pics of my babies ready to share... but I will find the appropriate place to do that elsewhere. These forums are so very Pollack... err, I mean, user-friendly! Thank you Moosey!
~ Mirabel Osler

SusanB
honoured contributor

1 Jun '11 10:52 pm
Sorry about the double-post, but just a note: DARN!! Started a thread with pics of my babies only to find out they're too big, and don't have the time to find somewhere to re-size them right now, need to get ready for work and water the babies before I head out. :( I'm off tomorrow, so I'll work on it then.
~ Mirabel Osler

Previous

Return to Mooseys Garden Guest Book