Brrrrr!

jack two
The new improved Jack Holloway v.2

Odd weather and beautiful frost

13 Jul '08 4:00 am
Hello all! You definitely seem to be having a tough time in NZ! Here it has been warmer than normal, with aloes flowering that don't often manage to do so. (I'll post on my winter thread.) However today is icy and damp across the country, so winter might have arrived...

Kerole, once again beautiful pictures... but I can't help wondering about those hail storms: do they cause much damage or is it small, soft, slushy stuff? In much of SA heavy summer hailstorms with stones 2 - 6 cm can flatten a garden in seconds and even kill lifestock. Luckily they seldom strike the same spot more than once a decade. Here (touch wood) I've only rarely heard of hail doing more than superficial damage...

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Hail Damage

13 Jul '08 11:58 am
I got caught in a hail storm a couple of weeks ago - out by the pond planting gunneras. The stones are definately big enough to sting but not so big as to kill livestock or dent cars. We mostly get hail in the spring - it ruins whole pip fruit harvests, and is an orchardist's worst nightmare. The frosts and hail have flattened a few of the more tropical plants but most of the plants are still fine. It is really abnormal for Auckland to have such brisk weather - usually it just rains all winter!

moosey
head gardener

9 Aug '08 10:06 am
It's snowing again. Not welcome! In a book I read a nice description of snow as a 'playful friend, visiting the garden'. Well, this is far too romantic a notion... And Brrrr, by the way!
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

jack two
The new improved Jack Holloway v.2

No brrr here...

10 Aug '08 2:31 am
This morning there was no frost, and by 10am I was in only a T-shirt. Min 3 max 26... but the few times in my life I've experienced snow in SA were all in August!

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Snow in the South

11 Aug '08 11:11 am
Oh Moosey I feel for you lot down there in the snow. 'Playful friend' my * - who wrote such nonsense? Although we never get snow, we can feel it on the wind... it's been very cold and rainy for months now. Today is fine but very nippy and I am going to try to deal to the messy white gardens until I can no longer feel my fingers.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

13 Aug '08 11:42 pm
Reports of light snow in some suburbs a couple of days ago but we didn't get any here. We certainly could feel it in the wind though.

Previous

Return to Mooseys Garden Guest Book