Hello

oldcrow
contributor

Hello

26 Apr '08 9:09 pm
I'm an avid gardener, living on the east coast of Canada. Spring has been a long time showing it's face this year. We've had a dreadfully long winter but now things are poking their heads out of the ground. Still a little snow left around the woods but it's disappearing fast. This week I've finally been able to get out in the garden and do some work. A joy to be sure.

moosey
head gardener

Welcome

27 Apr '08 8:20 pm
Welcome, great to hear from you. We gardeners spend a lot of time waiting for the next things to start, I reckon! I'm so glad that your winter's over - let's just hope that there's enought time to enjoy spring into summer. Sometimes the warm seasons get really rushed. And it's not all in the mind!

My Non-Gardening Partner, bless him, is originally from the Prairies - Manitoba, Canada. He finds it - interesting - revisiting Canada during the winter months. He remembers three month growing seasons and really fast springs. Aargh!

Anyway, welcome, and please post some pictures of your garden - like these little things that are popping up - how exciting! Cheers.
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

jack two
The new improved Jack Holloway v.2

Welcome!

27 Apr '08 9:23 pm
Welcome, Oldcrow!

Mmmm.... that doesn't sound too good. You'll need a name as well! But welcome anyway!

moosey
head gardener

Oldcrow's name

28 Apr '08 1:39 pm
It makes me wonder, Jack, if we all had to have bird names - what would we choose? I'd probably get called Goosey... Here a goose is a slightly derogatory name for a silly person, so Old Goosey would just about do it perfectly. Hmm...
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

jack two

Goosey....

2 May '08 7:46 pm
Now Goosey, don't start something you might live to regret....

Me? Well, in my youth I might have passed for a plover. Or as I heard this weekend in Kruger where I took this picture, we now have to call it a lapwing, because that is what the rest of the world calls them. (Isn't that what we have scientific names for? We plantspeople are just so much more sensible than the birders. Perhaps because plants stand still and we don't have to scurry around with binocs looking for them.) I digress. Ergo, I chirrup on, a bit like a plover. However their self-concious sartorial elegance belongs only to my very early youth. I too wore red trousers, but that was in the seventies, and intended to shock my more conventional classmates.

Today... I guess an ostrich. In South Africa we maintain that they are so stupid they bury their heads in the sand to avoid danger. I tend to deal with problems that way too. If you don't look at them, they won't exist...

By the way... I'll be posting some Kruger pics soon, as well as some splendid autumn colours in my diary.
Plover in the early sun.JPG

goose
Weekend Gardener
Coatesville , New Zealand

Welcome Oldcrow

4 May '08 10:34 am
Nice to meet you Oldcrow. :)
I hope you enjoy the fun, wit and beautiful photos we share on Mooseys wonderful website. Welcome..

Jack & Moosey :roll:
I go away for a while and when I return what happens, I find someone is trying to assume my identity. :lol: :lol:
I'm not sure about the Plover Jack, I think we could find something much more suitable than that. Any :idea: anyone?

Have a great day
Goose

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Bird names

4 May '08 12:57 pm
Me...Because of my surname,I was nick-named 'D*cky-bird ' all my childhood life.(I am not being rude,but the website refuses my name)
Dixie.
(Welcome Old crow ,and great to see you again,Goose)

jack two

Hi again Goose!

4 May '08 6:00 pm
I was wondering about the territorial thing among geese... or should that be Gooses?? :lol: :lol:

How are things in your garden? Time for a year-end report!

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

4 May '08 11:04 pm
Hello Oldcrow! I'm new here too.

moosey
head gardener

Birds

5 May '08 9:11 am
Plovers are always shrieking - like old fishwives? And they strut around my paddocks, like thin drama-queens in an audition - pick me! Pick me! And they can hardly be bothered flying away when I flap at them - they 're SO self-centred.
Jack - does this type of bird-character describe you at all? Oops.
Mind you, our plovers are supposed to come from Australia. Oops again.

If I was seriously going to be a bird, I'd like to have a brilliantly musical song. Research music students would chase me through the trees trying to record my F-sharps and B-flats.

Cheers, and hello to - Dixie-bird? Have I spelt that right? Hee hee. And hello goose - nice to hear from you.
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

Return to Mooseys Garden Guest Book