fenwillow
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada

Hello from British Columbia, Canada!

15 Dec '07 7:26 am
Hello everyone. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to read about the sunny weather and growing gardens at the other end of the world. I really enjoy the garden diaries. It gives a lift during the dark days of December 'up north'.
I'm in zone 6 in the Fraser Valley in British Columbia. We have a long growing season, a bit colder than Vancouver, BC, but hotter in the summer. We don't get a lot of snow like most of the rest of the province and Canada. I'm attaching a picture that was taken where I work, from last winter, in one of our quickly melting snowfalls.
Cheers!
MVC-005F2.JPG
FenWillow,
Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Canada

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

Welcome

15 Dec '07 7:17 pm
Welcome,Fenwillow...
The picture looks really cold.
I feel the same way when it is winter here-the garden looks deadish and drab,and it is hard to be enthusiastic about anything.So it is a joy to catch the excitement and the anticipation of the Northern hemisphere gardeners.
Looking forward to hearing about your garden in BC.Do you have plans for Spring?
Dixie.

jack two
The new improved Jack Holloway v.2

Hello FenWillow

15 Dec '07 9:16 pm
What a lovely name! And picture! As someone who has never really seen snow in a garden, I love the way it piles up on the horizontal surfaces but falls away from everything else.

I read between the lines that you have been lurking for a while, reading as a guest. So WELCOME to the fold of contributors! We look forward to hearing more from you and learning about your garden experiences! :)

And tell us more about the name FenWillow...

moosey
head gardener

24 Dec '07 11:32 am
Welcome, and all the best for your gardening winter. And before you start envying any of us summer gardeners down here, think of the following word:

weeding

cos that's what we get to do all through the Christmas holidays! Cheers, and hope to talk with you again soon.
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

fenwillow

Finally back... only a few months later!

23 Feb '08 7:31 am
So sorry to take so long to get back to you all! Fenwillow is the name of my hobbyfarm... so called because a 'fen' is a low, damp land... which my area is, and 'willow' for the massive willow tree at the front of the property. It's a nice, unique name, although I sometimes wish it wasn't quite so 'fennish'! I have clay soil that dries out in the summer and resists draining in the winter.

I'm making lots of spring plans involving much moving of plants into 'drifts'. We'll see what actually happens. As I work full-time, the 'doing' part is sometimes just wishful thinking. This may be especially true since the drift concept may need bigger, deeper beds than I currently have - there goes more of the lawn. Oh well...

Anyway, thank you all for your welcomes!
FenWillow,
Canada

GardenGnome
Happily Toiling Away
Regina, Saskatchewan

Howdy Fenwillow

23 Feb '08 10:33 am
Greetings to the forum. I too am from the lower mainland. Richmond to be exact. Right in the mouth of the Frazer and that's where I grew up. Now I live in Regina, Saskatchewan. A big change was in store for me and I found myself out here. I really like it out here. My friends all said I would miss the mountains and the sea, but not so far and it's been 10 years now. I went back to the coast for a visit and found the mountains and sea are still there. Out here I have mountains of sky and oceans of wheat and canola.

It sounds like you are in Chilliwack or there abouts. Mountains all around (well, almost :wink: )

Can you post some more photos of your farm. It sounds enchanting. I love fens. I'll bet there are certain plants that will only grow in fen conditions.

The thing that struck me the most when I came here was the unobstructed horizon. It's surprising how far you can see when mountains don't get in the way.

Christopher the GardenGnome
Prairie Sunset.jpg
Failing Daylight.jpg
Moonrise over the prairie.jpg
A Gnome's at home in his garden.

fenwillow

Garden and farm pics

5 Mar '08 10:50 am
Hello Garden Gnome,
Good guess, I am near Chilliwack! I'm going to try to attach some pictures, but it may take some reformatting. Keep your fingers crossed!
Hope you enjoy the pictures. Your shots were beautiful!
Formal pond and roses small.jpg
Tree tunnel.JPG
Front garden 2.JPG
Front shade bed.JPG
Goats 8.JPG
FenWillow,
Canada

faerisweet
Poolville,Texas

You have a lovely garden,

5 Mar '08 4:39 pm
I hope to see more of it.

Dixie
garden enthusiast
Waikato-New Zealand

lovely garden

7 Mar '08 5:14 am
it is the sort of garden that I love too-winding paths and natural looking flower and foliage beds.Hope to see some more.
Dixie.

GardenGnome
Happily Toiling Away
Regina, Saskatchewan

Splendid

7 Mar '08 6:05 am
You sure remind me of the tropical nature of the west coast. Wonderful greenery. I love the goats too. So cute.

Christopher
A Gnome's at home in his garden.

Next

Return to Mooseys Garden Guest Book