Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

Thanks for the welcome Moosey, Bambi and Faith

20 Feb '07 5:54 am
Well, my 4-day holiday weekend finishes today and then its back to work and I won't be able to check in so often. It really is fun to talk with folks all over the globe who share this enjoyment of gardening. Moosey on South Island, I identify with your not-afraid-to-revise approach in the garden .. which is sumptious by the way. Bambi in Kent-England, I too was impressed by the water color painting by Dixie's cousin. I think water color is one of the least forgiving mediums to work in, and the the amount of detail and the quality of light in that one are awesome. Faith S. in Bama, I just picked Lia up from the airport last night and she knows how to shrink the files in photoshop so I should be able to put some up soon. (She's teaching all day today.)
I'll keep checking in on weekends. It took a lot of searching to find a good garden site but I think I have one now.
-mark
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

Bambi
Slowly Learning Gardener
Kent, England

20 Feb '07 6:14 am
Hi Mark,

You certainly have found a good garden site - even better, a fabulous, wonderful, supportive and (I have to say) addictive garden site! :lol: Drop by whenever you can (I too am restricted in when I can access but for me it's lunch hours at work!) and can't wait to see your pics :D

Bambi
"If you'd have a mind at peace
A heart that cannot harden
Go find a door that opens wide
Upon a beautiful garden."
Author Unknown

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

20 Feb '07 7:19 am
Hi, Mark, and welcome ! I share wholeheartedly you gardening excitement, and I was thinking that coastal California is what is known as "Mediterranean climate" for gardening? You should be very lucky, being able to choose of all sort of plants, frost or non frost hardy! I was feeling really awkward with the botanical plant names of your beautiful introduction letter, cause I recognize none! Is it possible, whenever you can , to either send us a photo of them or sent us to a site to get to know them? Thank you in advance! I wish you, to enjoy yourself creatively back to work! And, please, do come back soon!
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Mark

Hi Liza and thank you.

20 Feb '07 8:22 am
I will try to include popular names that I know but a lot plants I'm attracted to don't seem to have common names. I find Google the best way to find out more information about these plants. For example I couldn't find lobelia aguana in any reference book including "Flora: A Gardner's Encyclopedia", though they did have the more popular lobelia tupa. But I was able to find a reference to it through google in an article written for the San Francisco Botanical Garden (where I had bought it). When I get a little better at loading photos I''ll put together photos of these plants in my garden. (My wife absolutely hates it when I call plants by their botanical names, so I should know better.)

I've been to Belgium once on an outing during a stay in Paris. The countryside was beautiful.

Thanks for the feedback, Mark
Mark in California

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

20 Feb '07 8:39 am
Thank you for your quick reply, dear Mark! Look! Don't worry about the botanical names, cause I only recognize the plants with these names! And this is because I am of Greek origin and I have learnt everything like this from the beginning. Because the common name of each plant in its Greek version is incapable to help me when I communicate with ...international origin gardeners. So, botanical names sound ideal for me, and I really want to know the new ones of your first letter.

And , yes, Belgium is a beautiful country with really nice people! I love and respect this country as I love my country of origin, and like you, I have this feeling of belonging here -- because of my beloved garden?

I have been in Berkeley two summers ago (wrong:3 summers ago), when my daughter was living in San Fransisco. The campus is beautiful, and the view from up there, even more! I would love to become again a student , having a campus like that...Dreams...
From Berkeley Campus.JPG
Berkeley Campus.JPG
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Anna
Gone to seed
Hamilton, New Zealand

22 Feb '07 9:09 am
Welcome, Mark. I enjoyed reading your introduction.

I'm from the same district as Dixie. I can't claim to be an artist, but my mother is!
(Btw Dixie I like your cousin's watercolour. We holiday at Whitianga every year so the picture is a wonderful reminder of the area.)

Anyhoo Mark. Looking forward to seeing your photos. :)
Woof?

Mark

Liza, I don't recognize your second photo of berkeley campus

25 Feb '07 6:43 pm
Hi Liza,
I missed your photos of cal the first time through. I think I recognize the view from the science museum in the first photo, but I don't recognize the second. I went to school here a while back and went back for a masters about 5 years ago but I don't remember seeing this scene. It is really beautiful. I'll have to search it out. You wouldn't remember where on campus it is would you?
-Mark
Mark in California

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

The Science Museum!

26 Feb '07 9:25 pm
Yes, Mark! It IS the Science Museum/Berkeley , which is part of the Campus, situated where the Campus is, isn'it so?

I will post some more of the photos I took that day, and you will see what I mean.

We had been there , because my daughter really loved the whole Campus area, using regularly the swiming pool facilities , being a 6 months pregnant those days...
Science Museum - Berkeley (2).JPG
You can see here the "back garden" of the Museum, where the photo you do not recognize is taken.
Science Museum - Berkeley (1).JPG
You can see a part of the same area - my daughter Alexandra is that person, 6 months pregnant.
Science Museum - Berkeley (3).JPG
A lovely view from the same place.
Science Museum - Berkeley.JPG
You can see my son Nicholas here playing with another boy , in the entrance area of the Museum. You can clearly see behind him a residence building, part of the Campus, no?

Previous

Return to Mooseys Garden Guest Book