Greenhouse

bonorlea
helper

Greenhouse

4 Apr '11 7:06 pm
Hello

I don't have a green house. I'm thinking of making one by building a frame, but instead of standard glass or a kit type, I would like to then use reclaimed glass, old windows (tasteful of course). Does anyone have any pictures of this sort of thing, or dos and don'ts, etc.

Thanks.

moosey
head gardener

Re: Greenhouse

4 Apr '11 10:16 pm
I think that's a really great idea. A friend of mine has built one such, and because of the shape of the recycled windows used it ended up being l-shaped. It's a delightful space to work in. I've also seen bay windows used to create a non-rectangular glasshouse. cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Re: Greenhouse

5 Apr '11 8:08 am
Aha! Yes! This is my plan also. :D

I have got so far as to collect the windows and door. The windows are a set of several old double hung sashes and the door is also old with amber glass inserts at the top. The glasshouse/potting shed will be in an old-world style that suits our Victorian house. I would love to have the lower part of the walls (beneath the windows) done in old red bricks but instead I'll use weatherboards. It will have a pitched iron roof and small porch (no step though) with some little verandah frillies like the house. When I get a minute, I'll rumage around for some of the photos that inspired me.

Return to Information & Announcements