mud fever in horses

verna54
helper

mud fever in horses

23 May '08 7:38 am
Hi I know that a lot of you gardeners also have horses.Any one got any cures for mud fever?Each season the treatment used the year before dosn't seem to work .Any sugestions? thanks verna :D

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Horse people and gardens...

23 May '08 7:31 pm
...do seem to go together! My job and a large part of my life is horses. I have been horsey since I was a very little girl. These days I breed them rather than compete and I am enjoying this somewhat less stressful side to horse ownership! In fact part of the reason I joined in this garden forum was to get away from 'all things horsey'!

Anyway back to your question re mud fever. This is a devil of a thing to get rid of - as I'm sure you're well aware! It seems most common on white legs for some unknown reason - it is thought that pink skin is more sensitive. There is no magic wand I'm afraid except that the bug that causes it (it is the same bug that causes rain scald) is moisture loving and anaerobic, meaning it lives without air (oxygen). Opening the skin up to the air often makes a big difference. Clipping the hair from the legs and gently scubbing away any scabs will let the air in. Keep the horse out of the mud where possible - even yarding the horse (with a dry floor) overnight throughout the wet months will help. Use a towel to dry the legs if you wash the horse. The drier the legs the less the bugs will like it! For this reason it does not pay to use a grease or ointment on the affected bits. This keeps the moisture locked in. It is better to remove as many scabs as possible and dab on some iodine - makes the socks yellow but acts as a disinfectant and helps dry up the yucky bits.

A word of warning about clipping the legs - this can make the heels more susceptable to cracking or greasy heel. Personally, I think this is the lesser of the two evils!

Hope that helps. :)

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Mudfever

10 Jun '08 12:33 pm
Hi Verna. I was wondering how you were getting on with the mudfever. I would be interested to know what you've used in the past, and what worked and what didn't. Hope you're winning! :)

verna54
helper

mud fever

10 Jun '08 5:42 pm
Hi Kerole

Well it really has been trial and error as what worked last season dosn't seem to work this season.We in desperation used " Calendula" cream but not the one that has mark todds name, as the recipe is different. The one we used comes in a white pottle and the only place we could find that sold it down here was Morrison Saddlery in Ashburton at $29.95 conpared with $40.00 for the Todd one, The scabs are fall off each time we apply and the swelling has almost gone and the horse is much more comfortable.The vets down here have said it has been a really bad season for it this year. Thank you for your input and also for seeing how we have got on. regards verna

Mark
Home gardener & plant fetishist
Berkeley, California, USA

Horsy Moosey People

12 Jun '08 11:53 pm
I just came across this exchange and find myself intrigued. Lots of folks here have livestock and acrage, not just city lots like me. We hear a lot about each others dogs and cats (and some ducks) but not the bigger guys. Oh yeah, there was talk some time back of wondering hippos on one of Jack's threads. Can you imagine the grazing those guys could do on our gardens?

Growing up I read everything our library had on animals and their behavior. That interest has luckily transfered to plants now. (Does that mean I've become planty?) Where I was never able to keep all the animals that interested me, there is no problem with obtaining and growing nearly any plant I like (and can afford).

You have at least an audience of one for more horsey stories.
Mark in California

Q: "Do you ever sit down?"
A: "All the time until the urge to 'play' some more becomes too strong."

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Horse Stories

13 Jun '08 11:49 am
Oh dear. It's not wise to encourage horse people to talk about horses - usually it's pretty hard to get them to stop! There are a few pics of some of my horses on my newby thread. :)

Verna - I haven't heard of anyone using the Mark Todd cream. It seems everyone is finding the cheaper alternatives just as useful. Do you know what the difference between the two are?

Return to Information & Announcements