Furcrea longaeva will flower

muddywellies
North Devon, SW England

Furcrea longaeva will flower

24 Apr '06 7:39 pm
I have two Furcrea longaeva's which have just decided to flower this spring. That's the good news. The bad news is they do not survive flowering. Furcrea flowers start as a great 'lump' in the centre of the basal sword-like leaves and then go balistic acheiving about 5m in as many weeks it seems. A thousand white flowers burst all up the stem and produce tiny plantlets. The trick with these is not to hurry unduly, but wait until they start to fall at the end of summer when they can be swept up with a dust pan & brush!

I have attempted to add a photo and will update (if succesful) as flowering progress dictates if anyone wishes.
Furcrea01.jpg
muddywellies
www.winsfordwalledgarden.com
I've got green fingers, but I'm all thumbs using a keyboard! :)

jacqueline
Thankful Gardener
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Your exotic plant!

25 Apr '06 4:33 pm
Michael, please do update us with photos of this beauty as flowering progresses. Wish you success! It's a rare gem! Googling under its name spelt 'furcraea longaeva' led to more results with images, where one site stated that the largest inflorescence ever recorded on this plant measured an astonishing 13 meters in height. Wow! Unbelievable! Waiting eagerly to see yours!

goose
Weekend Gardener
Coatesville , New Zealand

Furcraea

25 Apr '06 9:37 pm
These have such amazing flowers you can watch them increase in size day by day.I would have a look at mine every day,couldnt believe how much it had grown. Tried to download a photo of my F. Bedinghausii for you to see, but the image was too big. I will have to find the original photo & rescan some time. Cant wait to see your pictures. :D
Goose

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

goose
Weekend Gardener
Coatesville , New Zealand

Furcraea Bedinghausii

14 May '06 5:54 pm
Have managed to downsize this photo now.
Its a shame the plant has to die isnt it.
Furcraea bedinghausii.jpg
Goose

What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.-
Ralph Waldo Emerson

zoe
contributor

Question

19 May '06 8:39 pm
I am wondering if the Furcrea longaeva is of the bromiliad family. I have to admit the plant looks very impressive in the photos.

muddywellies
North Devon, SW England

Furcrea longaeva will flower - Second update

19 May '06 11:26 pm
Further Furcrea update as promised. Believe it or not this photograph was taken just 25 days after the first. The flower sections will start to seperate from the stem in just a few days. Current height is about five feet (1.5m). We are experiencing a low front at the moment so winds are high, fortunately the plant is not too high and has a stout and robust stem and I expect no wind damage. Finally, notice how the background is changing for the summer.
Furcrea02.jpg
muddywellies
www.winsfordwalledgarden.com
I've got green fingers, but I'm all thumbs using a keyboard! :)

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

20 May '06 3:14 am
It is just amazing, Michael! I'm impressed!
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

Liza
gardening consultant
Waterloo, Belgium

20 May '06 3:15 am
It is just amazing, Michael! I'm impressed!

What is going on, here! I appeared twice!
"..So,perhaps, it is easiest, through awareness of flowers in particular, of their radiant beauty and purity, their vibrant colour, to come to the excellence of the One and be uplifted beyond thought to our divine selves".Dorothy Maclean

jacqueline
Thankful Gardener
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Furcraea - Bedinghausii & Longaeva!

25 May '06 6:37 pm
Goose: That's a lovely picture of your furcraea. Luckily, its magnificent beauty above overshadows its base which flops like a mop! :wink: Though, it's sad that it doesn't survive after flowering.

Michael: Great and amazing progress! However, I'm surprised to see its leaves starting to wilt so soon!

Thanks to both of you for sharing!

Return to General Gardening Chat