Of blossom and benches

pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

Of blossom and benches

16 Oct '13 7:26 am
They say you should learn a new thing every day and this morning while reading the latest moosey journal entry I did! I have a Cercis 'Forest Pansy' and never knew it has blossom :shock: I have only ever seen it bare or in leaf. Maybe this is because it is planted past a damp area of the paddock and I seldom go there in Winter. Next year I plan to go on a blossom hunt! Thanks moosey :D

I love the Stables Garden in the lastest entry also. It looks so relaxed, still and content. I can just smell the grass and imagine leaning back in the garden bench with the sun on my face, while the head gardener pulls those weeds! :lol:

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Re: Of blossom and benches

16 Oct '13 9:52 am
I have a forest pansy too. It is my favourite tree. Like you Pumpkin, I never get to see the blossoms because that area of the property is not on my places to go in the winter/early spring. The tree however, is in the main view from the house where it can be throughly enjoyed year-round but it too young yet to have enough flowers to be seen from the house.

You have prompted me to take the camera down there. Heaven knows what weedy horrors await...

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

16 Oct '13 2:47 pm
I love Forest Pansy too. The emphasis always seemed to be on the autumn foliage so a few years ago I was really surprised when I visited an Open Garden and learned that the stunning blossom tree was a Forest Pansy. I guess they were used to lots of questions about the tree because they had attached the plant label to it.

forestpansy.jpg

forestpansy2.jpg

pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

22 Oct '13 6:51 am
MacFlax, that is such a good idea! I wish botanical gardens had more labeling like that. It is nice to be able to read about something while you can see it. :D

Kerole, your comment prompted me to go see my Forest Pansy so I did. I found my own weedy horrors! :lol:
I do confess to leaving this part of the paddock wild so the ducks and pukes can nest. It is too wet during winter to do anything with anyway but I love the grass heads and wildness of it :D
cercis.jpg

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

23 Oct '13 12:01 am
I like it Pumpkin! :)

Return to General Gardening Chat