pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

Spring - a new gardening year!

17 Sep '13 1:58 pm
Spring has been quiet so far in my garden. There has been a slow unfolding as opposed to the more usual 'Ta-Daaaa!' Bulbs are lining up in dribs and drabs having started last month. I wonder if this is because the garden had a very mild Winter?

There are some plants Spring just needs in your garden and in mine it's the willows. The pond would look very flat without them. Second to the willows would be the fresh new leaves on the oaks and plane trees. Most other plants can come and go but the trees anchor.

Every Spring I watch the willows and they seemingly watch the calendar. As soon as I flip the Winter months away, out pop the first tiny leaf buds. At the moment they are dressed in little yellow flowers and bees. A very pretty thing. Spring is here.

I feel bad playing favourites :lol:
willow2.jpg
willow.jpg

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Re: Spring - a new gardening year!

17 Sep '13 6:57 pm
Crikey that could be MY pond! :shock: A spookily similar scene.

pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

18 Sep '13 11:25 am
Ponds rock don't they :wink:

Of course you can't have a pond in the Spring without a few of these fluffy little fellas.
ducklings.jpg

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

18 Sep '13 6:29 pm
Yes indeed! My resident ducks are not tame enough to bring their babies up for bread, I'm working on it though! My 2 female Pilgrim geese are currently on nests so soon I hope there will be little yellow fluffy goslings :D

moosey
head gardener

19 Sep '13 11:34 am
Remind me not to visit either of you in person with my bird-chasing dog! Every time a pair of keen ducks lands on the pond he barks them off the property. I'd love to have ducklings or geeselings - goslings? Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

23 Sep '13 6:23 pm
Clever dog. He is saving you from patio poo! :mrgreen:

They may be the cutest little eggs on legs when they are first introduced but out-stay their welcome real quick, output being relevant to mass :wink:

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

23 Sep '13 6:42 pm
Goose poo and bare feet = bad mix. :!:

pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

5 Oct '13 6:53 pm
:lol:

Harden up girl! Back in grandpa's day they used to stand in horse poo to warm their feet in winter while walking the 10 miles through the farms to school! :mrgreen:

I still don't know about those old stories :lol:

moosey
head gardener

6 Oct '13 7:41 am
I think they are boysie stories, recollected by blokes who are too tough to be sentimental, and who can't smell anything anyway, hee hee. Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Return to General Gardening Chat