MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Guess who . . . .

20 Aug '13 12:17 am
Kitchen person is late today, that other person was getting waaaaay ahead. :lol:

moosey
head gardener

Re: Kitchen Manufacturer Bath

20 Aug '13 8:37 am
Macflax, you should be pulling out weeds in your garden, not kitchens in the forum! Aargh! Lots of love, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

moosey
head gardener

New Thought

20 Aug '13 8:41 am
How about a Louis Vuitton kitchen now? That sounds rather classy...
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

20 Aug '13 9:46 am
Haha :lol:
I'll take a LV kitchen with free installation!!

What is it with gardening and kitchens? Is there an obvious marketing link between the two that I am missing? Is it assumed that gardeners are also cooks, preservers, makers of jam etc? A bit of a long shot really. Gardeners are too busy waging war on weeds and hacking their roses back to be inside making pesto and whipping up a baked Alaska or two.

moosey
head gardener

A Deep Question of Choice

20 Aug '13 12:40 pm
OK, Kerole, answer this. Would you rather have a new kitchen or the equivalent in plants/garden-labour/compost/new trees/roses and spring bulbs etc.? Hmm... Better go and make that fancy Moroccan dish (the one with the name I can't remember that has become so well known) and whip up some scones - those ones with stale lemonade that freeze so well. Yum. Pot luck! MacFlax and I are coming on over. Cheers, M

PS Don't get me started on weeding out weeds. WHERE do they all spring from? And some have such pretty little leaves...
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

I'm Getting Hungry

20 Aug '13 11:25 pm
Is it Moroccan tajine?
Stale lemonade in scones, really?
What time do you want us there Kerole? :D

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

23 Aug '13 7:28 am
Crikey! I'd better make sure there's no toys in the handbasins and tidy up the 10 pairs of filthy boots in a heap at the front door...

You two are welcome anytime, especially if you bring scones and Morrocan dishes-with-the-forgotten-name.
Yum! :D

Moosey, without doubt I'd take a kitchen-worth of hardscaping over an actual kitchen anyday. My plans include large robust pergolas, many many meters of paving, a few small courtyard areas, a small arched wooden bridge and a massive roofed bridge, a roof over the jetty, and some shallow steps, plus a small wooden pedestrian gate and a large wooden stock gate... And that is just for the garden along the towpath and pond.

moosey
head gardener

I want one!

23 Aug '13 12:54 pm
You have a towpath? Sounds terribly rural England, I love towpaths!

PS Came back from a trip around England some years ago and really, really, really wanted a moat around my house. Thought I could redirect our water race. NGP said no. Blast!

Sings: 'You can't always get what you waa-ant.....'

How many robust pergolas? Is it that one has to have a Fibonnacci prime number of such things? Hope you can keep on enjoying a kitchenless spring, Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

27 Aug '13 8:17 am
Oddly Fibonnacci does not feature much in my garden planning, though my terribly geeky Maths-genius father would be nodding appreciatively at the suggestion :D

My pergola plan involves a series of robust wide arches, each made from sturdy posts topped with straight overhead pieces with simple Victoriana-ised detail on the ends. There will be 5 or 6 (you and Fibonnacci would be screaming 5 or 7!! not 6!!) of these 'arches' forming a slow curve so you cant quite see one end from the other. There is nothing actually linking them together but perhaps some wires to grow things along. Black, lime, and black/red is the theme around the pond so I'm thinking suitably coloured climbing roses (Tradescant comes to mind - does he climb?), clematis (I have a French navy one called Romantika that I haven't killed yet so I'd be prepared to try another), and a red passionfruit or two. I'd also like to grow the green rose - do you grow this Moosey?

Yes I have a towpath! Haha, yes very English country :D I have long since given up the idea of ever using it as such and have begun to plant along the water edge. The towpath is 70-odd meters long and terminates in the pond.

My plan is to make a circuitous path that goes along the towpath, through the curving alley of pergola and hanging vines to a circular paved area partially surrounded by clipped hedging (I'm thinking Camelia 'Night Rider') where there is seating and a round table where you pause to enjoy your G&T, carry on around the pond, past the dove cote (yet to be discussed with NGP!!), over the weir (this is where the little humpy-backed bridge comes in - better than making a leap of faith which is the current method of getting across), up some gentle steps beneath the weeping willows, past the jetty which is like a little room as it has tall 'walls' of clipped photinia (and my plans include putting a simple pitched open-aired gazebo roof with finial on which will grow grapes - 'Albany Suprise' perhaps? and a door with door handle in the 'wall' of the hedge) you can sit on the jetty all enclosed by hedge and look out over the pond back toward the house beyond, keep meandering toward the post and rail stock fence that lines the other side of the pond (insert pedestrian gate into paddock here, tucked beneath a non-fruiting weepy ancient apple tree that I haven't had the heart to cut down), and around the far side of the pond (heading back towards the house gardens) along a slightly undulating and gently sinuous path, before finally crossing the creek (using the roofed bridge with lattice wall to focus the view down the creek and to hide the rear view to my garden dumping heaps and the neighbours crappy fencing), before finally stepping off onto a large half-circle of paving. From here you can go right through a narrowed bit that will take you back along the towpath again, or straight ahead through a pair of white-painted double Victorian gates beneath the London plane that takes you back to the house gardens. Turning left there will be a 'no-entry under pain of death' sign hanging on a paddlocked and razor-wired fence/gate behind which lurks my dumping piles of garden waste and the arse-end of the neighbour's cow pasture which no-one but myself and direct relatives must ever see!

Now I just need to clone myself. Several times over. Winning the lottery wouldn't hurt either...

moosey
head gardener

27 Aug '13 11:53 am
Am speechless! There's a Camellia I've just bought called Takanini, my plant breeder friend reckons it's a nice dark red, mid-season, I've got three of them and the plan is a mini-hedge. Maybe.

Now I'm inspired! And to think that kitchens from Bath started all this wonderful prose off. Wow. From little acorns mighty oaks do grow. Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

Next

Return to General Gardening Chat