fenwillow
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada

Oh no... the spammers are back?

18 Jul '13 5:58 am
Hi Moosey and friends,

Wow, those kitchen sellers are relentless! What a shame to see all those spams.

I'm sitting here in the Fraser Valley, BC, Canada, enjoying a day with some rain. We've had a lot of hot days recently so it's a welcome respite. As almost everything needed watering, it's great to get it all done at once. :D The cats are not too please with the thunder, but it's only light rain which they don't seem to mind. They're not hiding in the porch yet. I've been doing some garden renovating again this summer. I have a couple of small 'orphan' lawns that are surrounded by large beds and bark mulched pathways. I've decided that dragging the mower into those little spaces is a waste of time and energy, not to mention that the cut grass then flies right into the beds, and the buttercups in the lawn migrate into the beds. By this time next week, at least one of those lawns will gone, covered by nice fresh well-rotted bark mulch.

This spring I decided to follow the rules for dividing dahlias instead of just replanting them in their huge clumps. I ended up with over 30 to plant instead of maybe 10. I planted them in pots in the greenhouse, I planted them directly into the well prepared regular bed, I prepared new areas and planted them there... and finally, I just chucked them into any empty space I could find - in the blazing sun. Normally, my dahlias don't start blooming until well into July unless they are started early in pots in the greenhouse. This year, they all seem to be blooming early. There are still some stragglers, and they're not all blooming profusely, but I had blooms on many of them at the beginning of July, so I guess dividing them worked out after all. I can't imagine how many boxes it will take to overwinter them when I dig them out in the Fall! I'll take some pictures and will post them soon. I'm so glad they're blooming in the mid-summer slump period and am looking forward to lots of blooms later!

How is everyone's garden doing? I enjoy checking the posts but was a bit put off by all the kitchen ads. Hope to get some news from this post.

Happy summer/winter to everyone!
June
FenWillow,
Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Canada

moosey
head gardener

Re: Oh no... the spammers are back?

19 Jul '13 12:27 pm
Whoever would have thought that 'kitchen' would become a dirty word, eh? I think I cleaned up twenty plus kitchen weeds this morning. My goodness, can't let a day go past!

Am feeling very sorry for self, have a thick head cold (and consequently a thick head), so I am making myself do THE most boring garden maintenance tasks I can think of, ones that require absolutely no spark of creativity. As a consequence I am in an even more sorry mood than when I started, hee hee!

About to give up and have a mid-day snooze with a book in bed. The garden can wait!

Your dahlias will love you, and you shall be rewarded. Even if it's next summer...

Nice to hear from you, and sorry about my grumbles. Oh - I could clean up my kitchen, I guess. Kitchens! Aargh! Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

19 Jul '13 6:54 pm
Hi June. I'm so glad someone is enjoying some rain as a welcome respite. Here it has rained almost all week and it has interrupted my pruning.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

19 Jul '13 7:12 pm
Oh don't get me started about the utterly bloody spammers. :twisted:

Dahlias love being divided every now and then. I bet even the ones in the blazing sun will flourish! You just can't keep a good dahlia down. :D

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

19 Jul '13 9:28 pm
Kerole wrote:Dahlias love being divided every now and then. I bet even the ones in the blazing sun will flourish! You just can't keep a good dahlia down. :D

Really? :oops:

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

21 Jul '13 8:14 am
Oh dear MacFlax, have you managed to kill a dahlia? :shock:

As with most of the overly-hybridised garden plants today, some of the newer dahlias can have no backbone, but I have found that the good old-fashioned ones will persist through the most outrageous neglect.

fenwillow

21 Jul '13 12:45 pm
I finally have some pictures, but most are not of dahlias after all. Hope you enjoy them.

dahlias and wildflowers.jpg
dahlias and wildflowers
Hostas and shadows.jpg
hostas and shadows
crocosmia and coreopsis.jpg
crocosmia and coreopsis
dahlias.jpg
dahlias
dahlia and poppies.jpg
dahlias and poppies
irises in small pond with grasses and hosta.jpg
pond irises, hostas and grasses
Joe-Pye weed, hostas and grasses.jpg
Joe-Pye weed, hostas and grasses

The preview screen doesn't look great, but I'm going to submit it and hope I can edit if afterwards if it's still messed up.

Wish me luck,
June
island bed.jpg
island bed
FenWillow,
Canada

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

21 Jul '13 9:09 pm
Gorgeous!! Your garden beds are looking fabulously lush and full, with lovely textures and layering. Keep the photos coming - you are our mid-winter inspiration! :D

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

22 Jul '13 1:27 am
Beautiful!
Note to self, plant some hostas.

fenwillow

22 Jul '13 11:33 am
Thanks for the compliments Kerole. I feel exactly the same way in our winter when your gardens all look beautiful!

Cheers,
FenWillow,
Canada

Next

Return to General Gardening Chat