What's in Your Pots?

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Re: What's in Your Pots?

25 Nov '13 9:31 pm
Nice job MacFlax! What's the purple plant in the middle?

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

25 Nov '13 9:42 pm
Kerole wrote: . . What's the purple plant in the middle?

Celosia Intenz. Isn't it amazing.
celosia.jpg

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

26 Nov '13 6:25 am
Oooh pretty! The only Celosia I'm familiar with is that weird brain-looking flower that florists sell.

This one is lovely. Is it perennial?

Gabi
distinguished contributor
12/4/14 Bayway Village, Fern Bay, Newcastle; NSW Australia

26 Nov '13 5:25 pm
Haven't been here for a good while, sorry all. Been gardening, you'll be pleased to know. Takes me forever and I think I have just about caught up to last Autumn..sigh!
House today 002_opt.jpg
Here she is, in all her glory - oh dear!

Had a potting tragedy earlier this month. My Stephanotis; looking glorious one day, dying 2 days later. She's still holding on, but I am stuck as to what I can do for her. I drowned her, you see, as I didn't notice she'd been sinking into the (too small) bed of gravel in which she'd been placed. I noticed the irrigation water was filling her up to the top and I thought 'Hm! thats strange', the pipes must be playing up - duh! After two days of non-stop, studio flooding rain, this is what greeted me....
Stephanotis in Trouble 001_opt.jpg
Droop doesn't begin to describe it.

Trev and I nearly squiffled ourselves trying to lift her and her pot, and as we speak she is propped up on the top of her wooden border, out of the wet. you can see how far she had sunk! I have been given some remedies, but I am not too sure of them and I have killed too many ailing plants with kindness before this happened.
Stephanotis in Trouble 003_opt.jpg
Look at the tideline: if I had the sense God gave a goat, I could have fixed it before it went too far!

I have been told that a solution of Hydrogen Peroxide can aerate the soil, but only if it is mostly potting mix. Her mix has about 2/3 soil in it. I'd like to add more but, at the moment, I am only giving her a weak solution of Seasol to encourage her. I clipped all the flowers off in order to reduce the strain.

She hasn't died yet! Does anyone think I can save her, and should I apply any of the above to do it?
Gabi
Spring 2013 002_opt.jpg
Not that terriffic looking, but I have the vision!

Here are some pots that seem to be coming good after I discovered that 2 of then had big airholes in the soil which were definitely holding the plants back. I will reseat the plants after I add more potting mix, an then I think they should come good! The big pot has the black & white Cape Daisy, with 3 dark red climbing Geraniums to climb through it. The two smaller green pots have (1.)Cuphea with Crystal Palace Lobelia and (2.)Stella D'Oro Mini Daylilies with Swan River Daisies.

pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

1 Dec '13 6:53 am
Crossing fingers for the survival of your stephanotis Gabi, I have had a similar thing happen to a couple of pots and they have come right after just being able to dry out then a half strength watering of seaweed.

Can't wait to see the climbing geraniums grow, I love red geraniums!

I have a problem with dry spots/holes in potted plants due to nesting ants. Is this what affects yours?

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

3 Dec '13 3:12 pm
Can't help you on the waterlogged plant I'm afraid. But I suspect it will feel a lot better once it dries out properly.

Yes, Pumpkin I get ant nests living in the dry bits of my posts. I try to re-pot them regularly. Or sit them in a bucket/tray of water and flood them out 8)

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

12 Jan '14 7:52 pm
Kerole wrote:Oooh pretty! The only Celosia I'm familiar with is that weird brain-looking flower that florists sell.

This one is lovely. Is it perennial?

I think it might be an annual. I wouldn't mind so much if it was right outside a window where I could enjoy but it's out the back. :( Impulse buy. Didn't think it through and haven't had much time to concentrate on the garden lately.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

13 Jan '14 11:02 am
Hmm, impulse buying is a problem common to most gardeners I suspect! I have a number of impulse purchases still languishing in their nursery pots, going limp in the sun and growing roots out the bottom. Poor things :(

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

19 Jan '14 12:12 am
Kerole wrote: . . growing roots out the bottom . .

Guilty here too. :oops:

This is how that Celosia is looking now. As it's the first time I've grown it I'm not sure if this is typical or if this week's heatwave has had an effect.

potjan14.jpg

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

20 Jan '14 8:32 am
Gosh it's still rather stunning. Is this the same flower head that you posted in November? Either way that is a nice long flowering period. As for the droopies, I guess it could well be the heat but I thought they liked heat?

PreviousNext

Return to General Gardening Chat