Seasonal Gardening - Summer!

Allan.manta90
helper

Seasonal Gardening - Summer!

26 May '12 5:50 pm
Normally around the first of June I discard all the winter annuals and replace them with hardier ones that I know will thrive in our desert summers. That includes the geraniums. I tend to roll with the punches where my garden is concerned now, unlike the first couple of years we lived here in Phoenix.....I was in garden culture shock! So many things were different! But I've learned now to appreciate those differences, and I've found that with a little ingenuity I can grow things year round. Gotta love it!

hedgenursery
valued member

Re: Seasonal Gardening - Summer!

9 Aug '12 9:37 pm
I want to plant a Butterfly Garden in Southern California. Seasonal suggestions please?

PaulineG
helper

23 May '13 2:32 pm
Spring is probably the busiest season in the garden. Plants are waking up, mulch needs to be removed, winter clean-up has to be done, and all before you can start planting this year's garden.

moosey
head gardener

25 May '13 8:41 am
Thanks to http://www.examiner.com/article/floridi ... for-spring for these wise words. Better to read the whole article, methinks! Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Gabi
distinguished contributor
12/4/14 Bayway Village, Fern Bay, Newcastle; NSW Australia

17 Jun '13 6:01 pm
hedgenursery wrote:I want to plant a Butterfly Garden in Southern California. Seasonal suggestions please?

No privet hedges - nooooononono! Privet anything produces berries, purple-black ones. Birds eat them and create indelible purple stripes on your clean washing, when its hanging on the clothesline - erk! The birds also drop them in the parks and other peoples gardens and washing ! The roots are incredibly hard to dig up, even when newly sprouted!

Try Murraya; pretty perfumed flowers like jasmine, but you can't pick them as the petals fall off very quickly. They produce red berries which don't seem to take root anywhere I've seen. very easy to trim, They flower about 4 times a year.

That's my contribution!

Anyone else?
Gabi

Gabi
distinguished contributor
12/4/14 Bayway Village, Fern Bay, Newcastle; NSW Australia

17 Jun '13 6:15 pm
I just realised that in some parts of Australia, Murraya can be a pest too! oops! Well, there hardly a house in my street that doesn't have some.

These are some Hedge plants that grow here, which should be Ok for California.

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/trees-shru ... bs/#page=1
Gabi

PS do you want perennials in your garden? saves a lot of digging to have some ready to pop up each spring.
Gabs

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

17 Jun '13 9:53 pm
Why does hedgenursery in Southern California have as his signature privet hedge for no apparent reason and it appears to link to a nursery called coincidentally "hedgenursery" in the UK?

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

18 Jun '13 7:53 am
The amount of spam these days winds me up so badly MacFlax, I find it difficult to come to the forum pages now. I posted in both the vases and pots threads but they have been bumped down the order due to more recent spam postings on other threads. Drives me nuts.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

18 Jun '13 6:57 pm
Yep. :(

Return to General Gardening Chat