fenwillow
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada

Summer in Canada

31 Aug '11 2:36 am
Hi Everyone,

Summer seems to be thinking about winding down on the west coast of Canada, although I am hoping for a long Autumn. Our summer was quite overcast and damp for most of June and July, but August has only had one day of rain so far, sprinkles excepted today and maybe tomorrow. With the dryer weather, some things have dried out but I'm attaching a few August pics that I hope are okay. On our rainy day, the cats sheltered under the garden umbrella providing a lovely close up picture as well.

To those of you in the southern hemisphere, happy wishes for Spring!

June
Hostas and roses.jpg
Hostas and roses
Crocosmia and daylilies.jpg
Crocosmia and daylilies
Rudbeckia.jpg
Rudbeckia
Cats shelter from the rain.jpg
Shelter from the rain
Cats closeup.jpg
Kitty close up
FenWillow,
Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Canada

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Re: Summer in Canada

31 Aug '11 9:45 am
Oh my, your garden is just gorgeous! Every bit as lush and green as a Spring photo. The plants aren't showing the tell-tale ravages of summer at all.

Love the cats - you've got a matching pair, a big one and a little one. Too cool.

gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

2 Sep '11 5:34 pm
Hi, Fernwillow! I seem to have somehow missed your pages! I'm over in Campbell River on the Island and I just read some of your entries on Moosey's monthly newsletter. Love your garden! I'll look around the site for more about it!

Cheers!

gordonf

fenwillow

3 Sep '11 1:35 am
Hi Gordon and Kerole,

Thanks for the compliments. It's lovely to get them from other gardeners. To put things in perspective, 'drying out' in the Fraser Valley is not the same as drying out in many other parts of the world. I guess I wasn't thinking there! Compared to the droughts that have been going on in parts of North America and Africa this year, we're doing just fine on the west coast of Canada. I usually have to use the sprinkler regularly in July and August, but not this year. Over the years I've tried to pick plants that will thrive in the weather we get without a lot of additional water. Even here, the water supply comes from an aquifer that has a limited capacity and will run dry if we abuse it.

Gordon, thanks for mentioning the newsletters. I changed my email address and somehow forgot to resubscribe. I've done that now, so I look forward to reading the latest. I did look for the older ones on the website, but couldn't find them. Does anyone know if they're archived.... or if you saved the links, perhaps you could forward them. I think I've missed them all since January, but even if I just have a few links, I think I could find the other newletters.

Best wishes to all,
June
FenWillow,
Canada

moosey
head gardener

4 Sep '11 9:07 am
Finally, I found them myself! The newsletters, that is.

http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com/gar ... hives.html

Great to hear your news, Fenwillow. Gardening is all about enjoys the things that are there, while they're there, isn't it? And inspiring to to see your beautiful photographs - so different to the views here at the moment. Mind you, spring is unfurling, slowly... Happy gardening, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

moosey
head gardener

Love those thoughtful kitty-cats!

4 Sep '11 9:15 am
Love those thoughtful kitty-cats!
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

fenwillow

6 Sep '11 1:49 am
Hello Moosey,

I love all the pictures of your daffodils and camellias. Spring is such a time of promise, when everything is new and fresh. You've certainly been working hard to get off to a good start.

Thanks for the link to the newsletter archives. It's really helpful. I generally read most of your posts as they arrive or shortly after, but it's great to have the extras in the newsletter. I really enjoy them all.

Best wishes to all,
June

PS Did you know that the link on your main page is still bringing up the third week of August (at least on my computer)? I can still navigate to the current pages but have to go through the links at the end of each page to get there.
FenWillow,
Canada

moosey
head gardener

6 Sep '11 8:53 am
I wonder if individual computers might cache this page and keep it there, without refreshing as the weeks go by. I have the same problem on the laptop I use all the time. Yet, yesterday when I switched on the upstairs computer (first time in months) the link WAS the most up-to-date one. Will investigate further. And I am amazed and overjoyed and all those superlative words by the Camellias this year. Wonder why? Weather, maybe.
Cheers, and great to read your posts and to talk with you, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

fenwillow

7 Sep '11 2:13 am
Thanks for the heads up on the linking problem. I checked the website from IE and the link worked fine, so I had to learn how to clear out the cache in Firefox to fix the problem. It's all done now, so I've learned something new. I think the problem occurred when I uploaded the last version of Firefox...oops.

We're looking forward to a record-breaking week of sunny weather here... the warmest weather of our summer. That's a bit rare since it's usually cooling down by September. The children are all back to school this week, a sure sign that Fall is on the way. I think we're all really loving the warm weather, no matter how late it's arrived.

Cheers,
June
FenWillow,
Canada

Allan.manta90
helper

26 May '12 5:55 pm
What do you call the plant who bears yellow flowers? That plants seems to fit in my garden as well. :)

Next

Return to General Gardening Chat