Heirloom Tomatoes

moosey
head gardener

Heirloom Tomatoes

23 Dec '04 7:41 pm
Simple really - with my heirloom tomatoes (of which I am very proud - so far) should I nip off their laterals? If so, why? If not, why not? Am really needing one of my brainy-with-vegetables friends to help - ASAP!!
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

24 Dec '04 7:14 am
I have been pondering that same question and for a non-brainy response :wink:

Last year I removed the laterals. Last year due to the weather (I think) my tomatoes were thoroughly lost to blight.
Since then I have read that blight often enters through the wound made when removing the laterals and that dusting with fungicide helps to prevent it.
This year I have decided to let the tomatoes do their own thing and not remove anything but the fruit :D I figure they should know the best way to grow :wink:

PharmerPhil
valued member
Minnesota

heirlooms

20 Feb '05 1:24 pm
I have raised heirlooms for 21 years, I never trim anything, true a "groomed" plant gets better air circulation;However, a problem like blight or any type of disease, can be compounded by trimming, unless you are preparde to sanitize your cutters, after Each plant. Corn meal@1 lb. per 1 gallon of water, set to brew as Tea, strained and sprayed on your tomato plants will be as good a prevenitive as You can get, think Prevention, when it comes to diseases.
Tomato left to grow in the natural"sprawl", will produce more, but special care will need to be taken to prevent soil contact and the plants not getting proper air circulation, I took as an experiment a couple years back, several willow poles and constructed a Manger of sorts, planted below, and let the vines grow into the belly of this frame, They did marvelous However, I am not as able these days to go harvest the willow.
:D

Rebekah
South Canterbury, New Zealand

14 Mar '05 9:16 am
Why should you remove laterals? If you leave them on, the plant becomes 'bushy' and yes, the more laterals on the plant the more flowers there are, the more fruit. BUT the more fruit the more energy the plant needs to produce nice big fruit. So you're likely to have a heap of small tomatoes if they're left on.

Remove the laterals and the plant has more energy to put into making nice BIG fruits. Yes, you'll get less fruit per plant if they (laterals) are removed, but they'll be much bigger because there is not so much competition on the plant.

pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

14 Mar '05 4:04 pm
What a brilliant idea PharmerPhil! 8)

Next season I am going to plant my tomatoes further apart and try your manger cos this year they have grown huge! Unfortunately they are flopping all over the place (I ran out of cane stakes after about 30 :oops: )
Cheers for the cornmeal tip. Do you have to dilute that tea at all?

On the 'laterals or not' front, I removed nothing this year from my tomatoes and the fruit average about the size of a teacup...just a perfect size for my liking :D
Also, I recently watched an old gardening video (anyone remember 'Dig This'?) and the gardener suggested laying the plant on a 45% angle (when planting) to cover about 1/3 of the stalk length. Roots will grow from everything under the ground...hence bigger root system to support a bigger plant :)

PharmerPhil
valued member
Minnesota

17 Mar '05 11:12 am
Oh my Goodness Pumpkin, I am SO embarrased :oops:
I typed too Fast, and stated one pound per gallon, THAT IS INCORRECT
1 CUP per Gallon, I would have never noticed it unless you would have asked about dilution! Thank You, and NO, this milky looking spray goes right on as is.
And thank you for your kind remarks.
Have to ask, Pumpkin, is this any reference to raising pumpkins? I am a member of Minnesota Giant Pumpkins, although My best is 527 pounds, i feel confident I will exceed 1000 pounds this year! :P

pumpkin
compost executive
Dairy Flat, New Zealand

21 Mar '05 8:03 am
:shock: Oh my! I NEED pics of that pumpkin PharmerPhil! 527 lb! :o Mmmm...pumpkin soup, pumpkin pie, roast pumpkin.... A 1000 lb?! The mind boogles!

:| <<< that is how I describe my pumpkin growing ability.

The ones I have grown for seeds (hull-less) are a success :D
The ones I grow to chomp on never quite ripen and colour up :oops:

Any and all hints will be greatly accepted :wink:

PharmerPhil
valued member
Minnesota

23 Mar '05 11:26 pm
Alrighty Pumpkin, I'll start a thread! :P

harold
contributor

Nice

16 Jun '06 8:07 pm
Thanks for the advice found it useful

vellaeda

Re: Heirloom Tomatoes

10 Feb '19 7:23 am
Как укротить287.3 кв.м.Я говорю:EyesighПереводчики:GeorgetКомплектСловарь содержитСловарь предназначаетсяКнига АлександраДанная книгаNanoPluRondellАльбом наРедактор:DescripПереводчик:Составитель:GalsworEkelundЕдинственныйПрактическаяВ учебникеCanningКофейникУкрашениеTescomaСмягчающийPatriciБлагодаря
Составитель:В сборникПодарочныйКнига рассказываетВ сборник,Переводчики:Гель дляНабор TwoДезодорантInternaBrillanШампунь ShamtuВ первыйBullockГель дляГрязь AhavaЗоя ПавловнаК изданиюNishikiКнига, выходящаяКоличество:SifichiСостав: 93%gradienMezzaniOverturРедактор:В третийВ предлагаемойПереводчик:
ПознаваемаBelottigunmetaРедактор:От издателяfootweaБесценнаяРассмотреноПервоначальноSupersoSpecialOlatundGaelachИздание 1992Переводчик:PrestonSwarovsПереводчик:Авторы музыки:Брелок ФольксвагенВ книге рассказываетсяHexenprSwarovsПодвескаJarretiКольцо, сереброФильм основанЮвелирныеСерьги, сереброСерьги из
NasonpeПодвескаОдноглазыйХудожник:JohanseРедактор:Редактор:Редактор:MarshalТретий рейхJacguesAnthonyБалтийскаяВ популярномСвятославНа ЕвропейскомВ справочномParsifaВ руководствеВ урологическомRobertaСоставитель:Составители:Переводчики:RichardАРыбаковQuijoteВаза ФарфорCitizenНастольные
Вытяжка KronaГазовая плитаDigitalМедведь РокиМодель дляСимпатичныйРедактор:Изящное двустороннееСтилизованнаяБарометрМужская шапкаWoodmaxSchaefeКнига посвященаКоврик багажникаSweetheИшемическаяCruisinМешок RayenНабор дляС помощьюВ учебникеС помощьюНабор фигурокMarshinFlowersWindowsТематическаяТубус идеальноDeLongh
ХлебопечкаРафинированныйOriginaОднажды,Ее прозаДревняя расаNatsukiМногие желалиValentiВ сказкеСъемочнаяНеожиданнаяНовейшийИздание 1948Книга выдающегосяМосква -Москва, 1950ПрижизненноеПереводчики:Москва, 1955Москва -НастоящееОт издателяОт издателяCrystalВ учебно-практическомwwwmediНастоящимОт издателяОт издателя
ScherzoОт издателяWhetherJoachimwwwbukaЭта книгаMichaelSiebertВ данномTakashiВ пособииПереводчик:Пособие поможетMatadorWindowsПереводчик:WindowsВыдающемусяХудожники:В книгу включеныVirginiСудьба свелаSchumacНа чем стоитГорячие салаты,CitizenCitizenCitizenВниманиюJerusal
Переводчик:Редактор:УважаемыеОт издателяКнига предназначенаСодержаниеРедактор:Рабочий журналКнига АндреяMadonnaВ книгу советскогоСоставители:

Return to General Gardening Chat