gordonf
Happy Collector
Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Another Local Earthquake

24 Feb '11 6:25 pm
So glad to hear from you. Hoping that friends fare well along with family. Keep well!

Cheers!
gordonf

moosey
head gardener

25 Feb '11 8:33 am
We wonder how long it will take for the big things to recover. On a small scale everyone is doing their very best. And there's just tremendous support. Thanks heaps.
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

riobrazos2
Grandview, Texas

27 Feb '11 6:06 am
I hope your son's just acquired home in New Brighton didn't have any damage. Has anyone found Kaya yet, and is she okay? I know your kitties must be on supreme alert, not to mention two-legged folk with aftershocks. Heart is with you, but surely wish I was indeed there to physically help.

While you are in the midst of this, it is the loss of people that first stuns. But must agree with Jack, when you lose the landmarks that have been a daily, quiet acknowledgement of your life, it is very hard and a constant reminder of the total losses of that cataclysmic day. I did not realize this until a force 4 tornado ripped through the town square of Lancaster, a very pleasant place that I had visited often with friends and hubby to eat, go to an old, marquee-type theater, and shop at wonderful antique, fabric, and craft stores. It shattered several venerable, old live oak trees, as a matter of fact, all of them in and around the square, some of the buildings and several of my esteemed old Victorian homes. Somehow, one of the local news stations had filmed this, without knowing exactly where they were...but I knew immediately, and was stricken. This was eighteen years ago, and the loss is still stark.

Lady Moosey, prayers are with thee and thine.

much love,
Bonny

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

28 Feb '11 8:21 am
The stories of grit, determination, and solidarity amidst a ruined city are quite overwhelming. Ian has had a bit to do with the chap who had his legs removed by a surgeon with a pocket knife in order to free him from the rubble. I can't even comprehend what these folks are going through...

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

1 Mar '11 7:50 am
... on a slightly lighter note, a lady has ended her 28 year marriage to a man because he failed to come home soon enough after the quake to check on her welfare. He was at work, driving a truck in the country at the time.

Moosey - nice to see none of this is affecting the mad Russian spammer at all...

moosey
head gardener

1 Mar '11 1:57 pm
Oh Kerole, it is indeed a great honour to have my very own Russian spammer. Not everybody has one, after all. Something to keep us all on our toes... Oh boy! Think how disappointing it would be if he moved on to greener pastures. The Cats and Dogs Forum section would indeed be bereft...

Have just got back from three hours shifting bricks from son's fallen house wall. Tired oldish lady, pink face covered in mortar dust, wanders into her own peaceful haven of a house, and then immediately checks for her ruddy Russian spammer - as one does! Even before I've put kettle on or said hello to the cats or patted the dog - let alone had shower and washed hair. Hmm...

We had the two minutes of silence and I cried - well, I sniffed rather unappealingly and hugged son. His builders have put up bracing internal walls and with son have brought down the fallen chimney safely. It's good to be proactive.

Do you know what I'm going to do? When this is half over I'm going to build a curly brick path in my garden with some of those darned bricks - maybe a huge koru in the paddock.

Lots of love, and heaps of positives, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

jack two
The new improved Jack Holloway v.2

2 Mar '11 11:17 pm
Ah, Moosey and all of NZ...

A moment of light relief. My first reaction to your story of the old man in the park complaing about the absense of portaloos was that here we had another of those odd antipodian birds, this one fleeing earthquakes...

I think your brick path a stunning idea, a constructive (literally) momento off a destructive time for all of Christchurch... and the koru design... nice! I've always wanted to build a spiral... Oh and good for Kaya; reassuring for son-&-partner as they reassemble their lives...

moosey
head gardener

3 Mar '11 7:39 am
Dear Jack, It did occur to my naughty side that the old chap, staring down at the cracks in the earth, was in effect looking at one of nature's perfect portaloos (latrines to anyone who's unsure of the term) - dug to regulation Red Cross depth (and more), with safe access...

Oops. Some people will turn anything a few degrees into the funny side.

Today I am Moosey the Proud. Non-Gardening Partner is doing fireman duty in the city - a 12 hour shift - and Daughter is Red-Crossing doing water supplies. Haven't really seen her at all since she flew in, but just knowing she's here is nice. And I am jolly well doing my garden while dealing to Russian spammers - ha! Averaging 10 an hour. Now if my gardening efforts can match my forum clean-up...

Cheers, and great to hear from you, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

riobrazos2
Grandview, Texas

3 Mar '11 2:02 pm
What about a brick path becoming a koru, wrapped about the big koru statue? I love the memorial Koru you already have.

moosey
head gardener

3 Mar '11 3:33 pm
That's a great thought, Bonny. The koru is a symbol for rebirth and regrowth, it's used in a lot of traditional art design, both Maori and non-Maori. So it feels like a really good symbol, and using son's bricks ties my family into the idea.

It's so lovely to hear from you, by the way, and isn't Kaya a lucky cat? cheers, and lots of love, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

PreviousNext

Return to General Gardening Chat