What's in Your Vase?

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Re: What's in Your Vase?

12 Dec '10 12:22 pm
Another rose-based vase. This time in the kitchen.

This is a pretty combination of sprays of tiny pink 'Fairy' roses and white star jasmine. The star jasmine smells divine and wafts its scent all through the house. The plant is way down by the stables where it does a great job of masking the smell of horse but I only get the full benefit if I bring bits into the house. It is right behind me when I work and I love it!

The vase is a blue version of my 'Osaka' tea set. 'Osaka' was made in several colours but I only collect white and a few blue bits.

JeanClare - Our winters are not cold enough for Peonies. They don't do well here at all. I love the old fashionedness of Peonies but alas I must covet from afar!
fairy jasmine.JPG
So pretty.
fairy jasmine2.JPG
fairy jasmine3.JPG

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

12 Dec '10 1:55 pm
Lovely Kerole. I couldn't have that in my house, though I like star jasmine other members of the family don't. It does seem to be a fragrance that people either love or hate.
I have no idea if bottlebrushes do alright as cut flowers. Never thought about it.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

12 Dec '10 3:50 pm
Funny how some like the smelly flowers and some don't. My very accomplished gardening mother can't stand strong smelling flowers in the house. Lavender is about her limit. This rules out all sorts of lovelies such as lilies, jonquils, strong roses, port wine magnolias (she thinks they smell like vomit!), etc. She would have given me a disgusted look to find 'stinky privet' in the house last week!

I, on the other hand, love the smelly ones and am planning on planting a 70m long port wine hedge! I wonder if my Mum will ever visit again?! :shock:

Bottlebrushes last ok in a vase - we use them at Christmas in the years when Pohutakawas are hard to find. :D

moosey
head gardener

12 Dec '10 6:11 pm
Aw, Kerole, your vases always look gorgeous! This week in my house the vases are full of old foxgloves (I"m ripping them all out, but can't bear to throw flowers out). They look better in the garden than in a vase.

I really need to find some fragrant roses, because my dog keeps finding something disgraceful to roll in. The house just is not smelling sweet enough. He goes for a swim in the pond to clean up, and then in a flash he is stinky again...

Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

13 Dec '10 7:28 pm
My parents have a port wine magnolia. Pew! :lol:

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

18 Dec '10 5:23 pm
Another lovely smelly arrangement on the hallstand by the front entrance!

The creamy white patio rose 'Scentasia' goes beautifully with the butter-throated Christmas lilies. Both smell divine! I threw in some white 'Snowstorm' penstemons and 'Iceberg' roses too. The penstemons are lasting incredibly well.

The vase is yet another piece of 'Osaka'.
lilies and roses.JPG
lilies and roses2.JPG
lilies and roses3.JPG

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

18 Dec '10 7:43 pm
Gorgeous. And what a perfect spot for a vase.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

31 Dec '10 10:10 am
Well of course this post has to be a Christmassy one.

Although I had great plans to have large gorgeous Christmas vases throughout the house this festive season, I ran out of time and had to settle with a much smaller arrangement.

Very small in fact... I hunted up and down my gardens for red flowery things for the Christmas table and all I could find was a few brilliant red pelargoniums! Added a few sprigs of upright rosemary and rammed it all into a small beaker. Sorted! :D

I have also included some shots of our Christmas tree this year. Not exactly a flower arrangement but it's kinda like a great big sprig of pine in an extra large beaten brass vase!

Plus the very simple wreath on the door made from twigs of miniature weeping rosemary and gold-sprayed seedheads that my undergardener and I collected last winter.
xmas.JPG
Pelargoniums and rosemary on the dining table.
xmas2.JPG
Just big enough to give a hint of Christmas.
xmas tree.JPG
Pinus radiata in a brass bucket. The whole house smells like a pine forest.
xmas tree2.JPG
Xmas wreath.JPG
On the front door.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

1 Jan '11 10:03 pm
Beautiful Kerole. You have some lovely tree ornaments, the wreath is great, and the pelargoniums and rosemary is very pretty and no doubt smelled nice too.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

10 Jan '11 2:54 pm
Thanks MacFlax. We had a very traditional tree this year - one of my better efforts! The angel on the top is 45+ years old. She has perched atop the family Christmas tree every year since before I was born. She's getting a little thin on the scalp but still manages to look ethereal and inegmatic despite her retro-ness!

For a bit of a change this 'arrangement' is one I bet you can all relate to! I don't know about you lot, but my kitchen bench always has vessels stuffed with cuttings sitting and stewing until I get 'round to potting them up. Sometimes they grow a full set of roots, leaves and flowers before I even notice. Poor things.

Currently I have a weird mix of purple leafed sedum, pink flowering scabious and heaven only knows what else in a plastic beaker on the window sill. The ones shown here are some succulent cuttings sitting in a sterling silver butter dish on the sideboard in the dining room. They've been there since November.

I intend to plant them all this afternoon. But don't hold your breath.
bits and pieces.JPG

PreviousNext

Return to General Gardening Chat