What's in Your Vase?

jack two
The new improved Jack Holloway v.2

Re: What's in Your Vase?

8 Oct '10 8:23 pm
I'm concerned about Mooseys. I come in for my first visit in ages, only to find the topic is smelly flowers - not to mention artificial flowers. I am shocked. [-X But perhaps this is a suitably non-u moment to mention that I am considering a garden of greens plus mosaics, stained glass and even colourful plastics... :lol:

jeanclare
valued helper
illinois

13 Oct '10 4:10 am
Am sending a picture of my artificial daisies with the outside gardening custodian. Henry is a gnome with avatar aspirations. Jean
New Image.JPG

moosey
head gardener

13 Oct '10 6:40 am
Henry is so groovy!I have a family of garden gnomes, and all of mine have red hats and names, too... hee hee. Thanks for posting, Jean! And I'll bet those daisies smell as sweet as...
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Hmmm...

16 Oct '10 9:21 pm
I'll reserve judgement on the artificial flowers but Henry looks like he's got a naughty streak. :D

Here's the current vase...

A bunch of blue bells picked by my toddler (he's an avid flower picker!). No dog poo smells from this lot thank goodness... :oops:
blue bells.JPG
On the hall stand.

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

16 Oct '10 11:40 pm
I like Henry!
Beautiful arrangement Kerole. Nice work by your little one!

jeanclare
valued helper
illinois

17 Oct '10 9:39 am
Thank you one and all for Henry. He accepts compliments with a grudging half smile. If you will notice, he is standing on his own beard which is rather endearing. He is rather tricky as Mac Flax picked up on it. Kerole your child picks the flowers with long stems. That is wonderful. Mine always picked the flower part with no stem and I had to float them in a shallow dish. Nevertheless, they were much appreciated. Kerole, your flowers are beautiful. We are having very high temperatures here in the Lake District of the U.S. Beautiful colors in the trees and the gardens can be enjoyed for a longer time. I live on a lake and have a lot of wild birds which we enjoy. My garden is a postage stamp size but the lake more than makes up for it with the wild life. I love where I live. Moosey, you contribute so much to gardening. Thanks. Jean

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

17 Oct '10 2:17 pm
Jean, your area sounds lovely. (Btw twas Kerole who made that comment about Henry.)

jeanclare
valued helper
illinois

19 Oct '10 5:55 am
MacFlax you are right. Sorry Kerole. I will try to do better. Jean

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

19 Oct '10 1:38 pm
No worries Jean. :)

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Hey, wait for me...

3 Nov '10 11:32 am
All this chit chat going on without me... I've been a bit slack in checking on this thread.

Yes, my undergardener (the toddler) loves to 'help' in the garden and he does leave the stalks long when he picks flowers. But they are usually attached to the whole plant or bulb! A bit of replanting is often required.

This is the last of the Spring flowers. They all come from the stables garden - daylilies, babiana, and irises. I used to have lots of clumps of babiana of many different colours, but now I only have two colours - a lovely soft yellow and a vivid fluro cerise. Thankfully, the clump of dayglo pink is getting smaller by the year!

The daylily is a really lovely pale buttery yellow that flowers all summer. This is the first time I tried daylilies in a vase - a flower that lasts only one day does not seem a good cut flower candidate! But I read that you should pick a stem of tight buds and let one open each day. It really works well.

The irises are scattered all over the property. They're a mix of pale blue, white, pale yellow, and deep purple. I've never needed to plant more bulbs as they seem to be dividing and seeding very well all by themselves. But I do have plans for some different colours down by the pond...
spring bouquet.JPG
In the kitchen.
spring bouquet2.JPG
Love that buttery yellow.

PreviousNext

Return to General Gardening Chat