Canberra, Australia

Re: What's in Your Vase?

1 Jul '14 1:36 am
Ooh, aren't they lovely! :)

Maytaj
helper

20 Aug '14 7:11 pm
Gorgeous! I've never thought of putting Japanese Anenomes in a vase. You are a creative and clever person! As well as owning a stunning cat. Cheers, keep warm, M

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

21 Aug '14 8:10 am
Maytaj, welcome, and thanks for the lovely comments. :)

This is the time for daffs and jonquils. Our house is stuffed with vases full of them. All shades of gold and yellow, primrose and lemon. My favourite are the pure white daffodils but I don't have any! I do have a patch of pale lemon ones with whitish centers that have naturalised on the back lawn. They're a bugger to mow around (my ride-on mower is not fussy about what it mows) but they do look lovely.

This is my hall stand. The Erlicheer jonquils (who would misspell it like that?!) smell amazing.
jonquils1.JPG
Erlicheer jonquils on the hall stand.
jonquils2.JPG
jonquils3.JPG

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

22 Aug '14 4:00 am
page 20
moosey wrote:Gorgeous! I've never thought of putting Japanese Anenomes in a vase. You are a creative and clever person! As well as owning a stunning cat. Cheers, keep warm, M

page 28
Maytaj wrote:Gorgeous! I've never thought of putting Japanese Anenomes in a vase. You are a creative and clever person! As well as owning a stunning cat. Cheers, keep warm, M

:(

Gearing up to post spam is my guess. Some spammers start with apparently genuine posts for a while before adding the ads.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

22 Aug '14 7:18 am
I used to get all twisted up about the spammers. Now I do my best to ignore the disingenuous intrusions.

Any daffs in your immaculate garden at the moment MacFlax?

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

25 Aug '14 9:47 am
Jasmine! [Gasp]

I'm a sucker for pretty bouquets that are perfumed even if the plant in mention is less than popular in much of this country. Jasmine (Jasminum polyanthum) has got itself on the NZ naughty plant list for being a runaway, a tenacious rambunctious thug of a climbing vine that is very difficult to kill off.

This looks terribly chic and charming when draped across a stone English cottage, or tendrilling politely from a thatched roof. Alas, our mild climate allows it to grow at double-speed with no checks. It definitely is not cute when smothering our native bush.

I snatched these flowers from the roadside where the jasmine had become part of a farm fenceline. It had miles of empty fenceline to go before reaching any structures, buildings, or other plants. I still think this is a challenge that the jasmine vine is well able to meet!

For all that, the small white and palest pink-blushed flowers throw a delicious sweet, old-fashioned perfume all through the house. Love it!
jasmine.JPG
By the bedside.
jasmine2.JPG

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

25 Aug '14 5:33 pm
Oh that's gorgeous. The pink and blue is so pretty. Funny how climbers/groundcovers can be a useful valuable plant in one geographic region and a problematic nuisance in another.

Btw the pics came up larger than usual, lovely to get such a nice big image but I had thought there was some kind of a technical limit on the size?

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

25 Aug '14 6:54 pm
Thanks MacFlax.

Earlier on this year Eggy changed the file size limit for photos. I used to upload small files around 30-40 kb but now I use bigger files around 110kb. When you click on these they open bigger and have more detail.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

5 Sep '14 9:41 pm
Well it wouldn't be spring without vases of daffodils! Love the cheeriness they bring to a day. My littlest undergardener surprised me with an armful of daffs picked from the orchard. I found her in mid-pick, totally absorbed with the task. Joy in simple things eh?

I put them in an old James Kent 'Osaka' vase next to a trio of Victorian pie bird funnels. The mad things with their gaping beaks look like they're trying to gobble the flowers. The undergardener was in hysterics.

Happy days.

So much more to come, but some patience is needed... spring is a busy time on the farm. :)
K1024_IMG_2319.CR2.JPG
The orange fruit are ugli fruit.
K1024_IMG_2317.CR2.JPG
She is 4 and a half now.
K1024_IMG_2378.CR2.JPG
K1024_IMG_2379.CR2.JPG

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

7 Sep '14 4:02 pm
That's just the sweetest most beautiful set of 'springtime' photos ever. :)

PreviousNext

Return to General Gardening Chat