What's in Your Vase?

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

Re: What's in Your Vase?

3 Nov '10 5:07 pm
Beautiful. It wouldn't have occurred to me that daylilies could be used as a cut flower. So the buds open even in a vase? Gorgeous yellow!

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Late spring...

9 Nov '10 12:34 pm
MacFlax - Yeah, the daylilies in the vase just pop a new bud open every day. During the night the old flower closes and drops off onto the counter. Easy as!

I'm getting a bit behind - this vaseful was from the week before last. It's a simple country concoction of Ajuga and tea tree (Manuka).

The Ajuga looks amazing this year. It coats the ground below a Tibetian cherry, some resprouting mini hydrangeas, and several Jerulasem artichokes. The blue carpet against the silver of the artichokes is particularly lovely. The little white flowers are from a short stretch of tea tree hedging. I never got around to trimming the hedge last year, so it totally covered itself in frothy little white flowers this spring. Tea trees are a dime a dozen in NZ and are often overlooked but there's no overlooking this one this year! It really is beautiful (there are more recent pics on Kerole's Garden thread).

This vase lasted two weeks without losing a petal. Not bad!
ajuga.JPG
In a cream jug on the telly.
ajuga2.JPG

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

20 Nov '10 12:34 pm
That is so pretty Kerole. Perfect vase for those flowers. Just gorgeous.

moosey
head gardener

20 Nov '10 1:14 pm
I have been too embarrassed of late to show any pictures of what's in my vase. The trouble is that I've been secretly using some drinking water jugs, hoping that the family won't notice the next time I serve them water on the table. And the contents have been fallen flowers - like irises that the irrigation has tipped over, and aquilegias that have tipped themselves over.

Then there are fistfulls of Souvenir de la Malmaison roses - they're from branches of this rose that I've cut down. It looks like I've scrunched up pieces of grubby pink underwear and squashed them into an old teapot. it is not a good look.

So you can really see why there are no pictures from me! Cheers. M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

20 Nov '10 1:28 pm
moosey wrote:Then there are fistfulls of Souvenir de la Malmaison roses - they're from branches of this rose that I've cut down. It looks like I've scrunched up pieces of grubby pink underwear and squashed them into an old teapot. it is not a good look.

:shock:

Well, I can't criticise, I don't even have a vase... :oops:

moosey
head gardener

21 Nov '10 7:36 am
OK, OK, you've all asked for it. Well, that's not strictly true...

Here are my disgraceful Souvenir de la Malmaison roses in their 'vase'. Hee hee. Trust the owner of this forum to lower the visual tone...
vase-flowers.jpg
Moosey's Vase
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

jeanclare
valued helper
illinois

21 Nov '10 12:35 pm
That is priceless Moosey! I wish I had a vase like that. Totally decadent. A little silliness is needed. Friday I attended a forum on humor and health given by the local hospital and we were asked to laugh at the Thanksgiving table for no reason. And what do you suppose would be the outcome asked the presenter. I ventured the comment "nursing home placement" . It produced laughter but the presenter was not amused.
Jean

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

21 Nov '10 2:45 pm
Love the vase, and Jeanclare's witty comment. The roses, hmm, yes, well...

Kendel
valued member

21 Nov '10 4:40 pm
Looks like Carmen Miranda wearing pink, blousy bloomers instead of her usual fruit.....gave me a good laugh, though....gotta love it!

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

21 Nov '10 5:35 pm
Kendel wrote:Looks like Carmen Miranda wearing pink, blousy bloomers instead of her usual fruit

Heehee, yes!

PreviousNext

Return to General Gardening Chat