What's in Your Vase?

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

What's in Your Vase?

4 Oct '10 4:10 pm
This is a thread I've been meaning to start for some time. It is an opportunity to show what's in your vases - flowers, foliage, feathers... whatever has taken your fancy. And best of all, you don't have to have a fancy garden to participate in this thread!

So, this is what's in my vase this week...

The last of the bright yellow tulips that grow at our front gate. I love them most when they're full blown. So cheery and flamboyant! They never fail to make me smile.
Yellow Tulip.JPG
Yellow Tulips.JPG
Last edited by Kerole on 6 Oct '10 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

moosey
head gardener

Re: What's in Your Vase?

5 Oct '10 10:56 am
Hee hee. What a groovy thread! This is my contribution - the pic has already been on the journal, but it's the daftest daffodil vase with a parrot handle. And it leaks, so I have to put the flowers in a glass inside. Cheers!
daffodils-jug.jpg
daffodils
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

5 Oct '10 7:38 pm
Gorgeous, Kerole and Moosey. Such a lovely spring colour. Cute parrot handle too. :)
I think my vases were last seen somewhere in the garage, and prior to that usually held :oops: plastic flowers.

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

6 Oct '10 8:02 am
MacFlax - Time to dig out a vessel and plonk something from your garden in it! I find flowers in the house do wonders for my mood. The best ones come from your own yard with all their imperfections!

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

6 Oct '10 11:24 pm
Many years ago an impulse buy at the markets of a bunch of daisies (I think) had me searching the house for smelly socks all afternoon. Maybe I never got over that. :lol:

moosey
head gardener

7 Oct '10 7:01 am
Aha! Try a large bowl of Shasta daisies in a gorgeous big urn of a vase, and then spend the afternoon looking for where one of the cats has pee-ed!

Sorry Kerole, to lower the tone of your thread. I blame MacFlax...
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

7 Oct '10 7:18 am
Haha - I too have fallen foul of the daisy in a jar. An unusally stinky one at that! They should put warnings on the labels!

When I was pregnant my olfactories went into super-drive... One evening in front of the TV, all I could smell was dog poo. I kept getting up and checking all the soles of shoes etc. Turns out it was some bluebells on the hallstand! :D

jeanclare
valued helper
illinois

7 Oct '10 11:35 am
Hello! This is my first post and I am a little confused but I think I can manage. I am from a small village southwest of Chicago, Illinois, a backyard gardener. It is the time of year for me to put the garden to bed and so, marigolds are the only thing left to place in a vase. I don't like them in the house...they smell awful. So, I went to Walmart and got some artificial daisies. They do the trick. Good for the allergies too. I have to mention that Moosey's language is very playful...i.e., grasshopper gardening and wandering weeding. This is exactly how I garden. Nice to be here. Hope the aftershocks diminish or, better still, go away. Hope Moosey finds Lilli-Puss. Jean

MacFlax
Canberra, Australia

7 Oct '10 11:33 pm
moosey wrote:Sorry Kerole, to lower the tone of your thread. I blame MacFlax...

:oops: :lol:

Hello and welcome Jean.

moosey
head gardener

8 Oct '10 7:45 am
Me too, Hello and welcome to Jean. It's nice to meet you. I'm able to report that Lilli-Puss has finally returned, large as life. If cats could she's be shrugging her shoulders and saying 'what's the fuss? Three weeks AWOL - whatever...'

Have to admit to being absolutely amazed by the displays of artificial flowers one can buy these days. Unfortunately rather too amazed at the price to get out the wallet. I don't know about others with vases in the house, but I just can't get it right. Friends can present one flower and a twiddle of twisted willow in a vase, put it on the middle of the table, and it looks amazingly artistic and gorgeous. When I do it it looks like someone's plonked a flower and a silly tree branch in, lost interest, and then wandered off.

Kerole - we want to see your latest vase. MacFlax, you are totally forgiven - because you are my second favourite Australian (have a son-in-law from Sydney, so have to be careful here). Hee hee.

And Jean - please come back and write to us again and show us some pictures! We're not as silly as we sound. Well some of us aren't... :D :D :D
M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

Next

Return to General Gardening Chat