Moosey's garden

moosey
head gardener

Re: Moosey's garden

29 Mar '12 8:27 am
They are a sort of red-magenta, like plum stains on the jam-making spoon! Earlier in the season there was more pink in the colour.I bought them from a grower who gave them fancy names - maybe that helps!

I love the hydrangeas, and am gradually getting them all in the one area, which has decent semi-shade from early summer on.
Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com
http://www.mooseyscountrygarden.com

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

Variegated reed?

11 Apr '12 8:23 am
Just when I think I've got a handle on your garden Moosey, another little stunner comes up.

What is that loudly coloured 'variegated reed' you've photographed? It looks fantastic!

moosey
head gardener

11 Apr '12 10:36 am
Hee hee. It's a beauty, possibly on the official undesireable list, like giant Gunnera. There's a huge clump growing in the grounds of an old long-shut-down school on one of our country roads. I've put mine near the water (oops) and it now grows over head high. Am a real sucker for variegated big things. In Rarotonga (search back in those girlie memories) do you remember seeing the giant variegated Pandanus? Beautiful.

It's wet today, thankfully, because our autumn has been so dry. Great for the crop farmers, not so good for little gardeners who are busy shifting hydrangeas and roses. Cheers, M

Plantsman friend says it's an Arondo.
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

11 Apr '12 5:17 pm
Haha - Arondo donax. Yes indeed it's on the naughty plant list! Wow, how misleading a photo can be. It looks small, sweet and innocuous in your garden but actually it grows into a massive thuggish thing that blocks waterways and smothers desirables. I love big variegated things too - for all its bad habits, I'm still a bit tempted! Tsk tsk.

I don't recall variegated Pandanus in Raro. I recall a lot of taro, ginger, tropical fruit trees, hibiscus, etc. In truth the Raro gardens were not hugely inspiring, although they were lush in an unstructured jungely kind of way.

gesser63

5 May '12 3:17 am
thats too nice and awesome stuff thanks for share that

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

14 Jul '12 9:29 am
That little black and white cat gets madder looking my the day!

riobrazos2
Grandview, Texas

14 Jul '12 4:57 pm
I must confess, her pupils do give her a wild look. Don't know about the meat ax, tho. :wink: {am so glad for the round smilies that are left, the others look alien demonic}

jack two
The new improved Jack Holloway v.2

27 Jul '12 6:14 pm
After weeks, even months, of not visiting Moosey's Journals I've just had a fix!

And after the break I've realised two things: why I haven't been back, and why I should have...

I haven't been back because Moosey makes me feel guilty about my lack of hands-on gardening these days, whilst she whirls around energetically. And I should have been back because she really does inspire me. I've reached a stage where as far as my own garden involvement goes, I feel overwhelmed by my lack of excitement, my lack of wanting-to-do, and wishing-to-plant. It is almost a form of gardening depression. But after an odd hour following Moosey through her winter, I have a distinct sense of can-do.

moosey
head gardener

29 Jul '12 11:48 am
Dear Jack,
I sent you some friendship-gardening vibes a few days ago - yippee! It worked! It's so good to hear from you, and then again, I'm humbled by having been able give you the tiny bit of regrowth. And I don't mean the hair, either! You are such a knowledgable, nurturing gardener, and writer too, that it just isn't conceivable that you've stopped - perhaps just a gentle breather, which we're all allowed to have. And it is winter, which can easily have something to do with discontent...

All the best, and - when in doubt, plant up a pot of the silliest, most artificially coloured plyanthus that you can possibly find in the nursery. They might be in dodgy taste, but mine sure make me giggle on a gloomy day! And please keep in touch, good friend, and I promise to give you more support than my dahlias get. Oops. That doesn't actually give you much at all...

Right. It's nearly warm enough for me to go outside, and it's nearly midday. Roll on spring. But wait - winter os pretty groovy too. Great to hear from you.
Cheers, M
Head Gardener
mooseyscountrygarden.com

Kerole
A Gardener of Disrepair
Taupaki, New Zealand

30 Jul '12 8:36 am
Oh Jack. I so know what you're going through. Earlier on I felt much the same way. My Mum suffers from SAD in the winter months - could this be part of the problem?

Our farm is a winter swamp, the horses are miserable and filthy, the garden is wet and unworkable, the kids have cabin fever, and there is a devious leak in the roof of the cottage and we have people wanting to stay in it next week.

But Spring bulbs are coming up everwhere and I have 2 new roses to plant - that always cheers me up.

So nice to have you back Jack! :D

PreviousNext

Return to General Gardening Chat